VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1974 - His Master's Voice.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:35 pm 

Mamouna?

no way...

'IN YOUR MIND'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:53 pm 

Ok - since the whole thread has changed direction.. I feel compelled to pitch in .. Boys and Girls is the best BF Album - Sorry you guys Mamouna is great in parts but songs like NYC , Wildcat days , Gemini Moon .. to my ears are disappointingly flat .. In Your Mind … unlike most Roxy albums sounds dated .. Boys and Girls is consistent, cool , dark, moody and most of the music is intoxicating ( with the exception of Stone Woman ) .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:33 am 

I’m with Gardner on this one, with a nod to his comments on Stone Woman which I have tried to warm to in later life, to a degree of success , I might add, as it does move with tempo.
Whilst I love Mamouna , Boys and Girls has stood the test of time better. All of the singles are outstanding on Side 1 and The Chosen One and the title track on Side 2 are simply magnificent.

So here are my top 5 Ferry solo albums. As no one is asking.

1. Boys and Girls
2. The Bride Stripped Bare
3. Bete Noire
4. Mamouna
5. Another Time, Another Place

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:32 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
I’m with Gardner on this one, with a nod to his comments on Stone Woman which I have tried to warm to in later life, to a degree of success , I might add, as it does move with tempo.
Whilst I love Mamouna , Boys and Girls has stood the test of time better. All of the singles are outstanding on Side 1 and The Chosen One and the title track on Side 2 are simply magnificent.

1. Boys and Girls
3. Bete Noire
4. Mamouna

There was a time years ago when Boys and Girls was my constant obsession and I made Stone Woman work for me by imagining it like a Talking Heads track …

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:45 pm 

Gardner wrote:
avalon_eyes wrote:

1. Boys and Girls
3. Bete Noire
4. Mamouna

There was a time years ago when Boys and Girls was my constant obsession and I made Stone Woman work for me by imagining it like a Talking Heads track …

Mes Amis,
The comments of Le Jardinier et avalon-eyes regarding ‘Boys & Girls’ are truly interesting.
It is indeed a phenomenal piece of work and for Windswept ranks a close second after Mamouna.
For different reasons the two Ferry albums that have aged less well, are, ‘Bete Noir’ and ‘In Your Mind’
‘Bete Noire’ because Pat Leonard’s over production ruined some great songs. W2 never fully understood his inclusion after our hero had so much success with Rhett Davies. In fact W2 would love BF to remake this one and strip it right back.
En ce qui concerne ‘In Your Mind’ the problem here is that the album is just not at the level of the others and sounds a bit harsh and flat.
To participate in the listomania challenge, W2 would put his top 5 as follows:
1. Mamouna
2. Boys & Girls
3. The Bride Stripped Bare
4. As Time Goes By
5. Olympia
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:37 am 

Windswept2 wrote:
[‘In Your Mind’ the problem here is that the album is just not at the level of the others and sounds a bit harsh and flat.

Thoroughly concur. Possibly my least played BF album. Loved it at the time - and the accompanying tour - not least the success of "This Is Tomorrow" (still one of my favourite singles). LMMA is outstanding and the title track continues to charm all these years on. But as for the rest? Nowhere is the sound as harsh - or the voice so thin - than on "One Kiss" and "Party Doll" just screams 'filler'. To drag this, kicking and screaming, back to the origins of this thread, the album seems like the very antithesis of HMV, c.1974.

For me, it says a lot that of 1977's output, the two most remarkable songs could be found on the flip side of BF's singles.

As for album lists, it's been done to death really, hasn't it? But of those offered up already, no "These Foolish Things"? The album that started it all as far as BF's prestigious solo career is concerned and which truly warrants being described as seminal.

Last edited by UKRichard on Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:01 am 

UKRichard wrote:

As for album lists, it's been done to death really, hasn't it? But of those offered up already, no "These Foolish Things"? The album that started it all as far as BF's prestigious solo career is concerned and which truly warrants being described as seminal.

Cher UKRichard,
Encore une fois, vous avez raison.
‘These Foolish Things’ was and is truly seminal !
W2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:11 am 

UK Richard: Thorough concur. Possibly my least played BF album. Loved it at the time - and the accompanying tour - not least the success of "This Is Tomorrow" (still one of my favourite singles). LMMA is outstanding and the title track continues to charm all these years on. But as for the rest? Nowhere is the sound as harsh - or the voice so thin - than on "One Kiss" and "Party Doll" just screams 'filler'. To drag this, kicking and screaming, back to the origins of this thread, the albums seems like the very antithesis of HMV, c.1974.

Dear UK Richard, your postings are always one of the best in this forum but I'm sorry to tell you that my favourites from In Your Mind are: One Kiss, All Night Operator + Party Doll. A different arrangement could have helped but All Night Operator is really a great soul song, one of the best Bryan ever composed. Am I the only fan of these songs here :D ? And yes, we had enough lists so back to Gardner's thread ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:48 pm 

Even I joined in on the hijacking of my original thread :lol: - I will add this tho … I picked B and G instead of Mamouna because I was thinking of albums made up of his own compositions..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:32 pm 

I love the twangy glam vibe of the song 'In Your Mind' but I can't bear the words - They are some of the most preposterous lyrics Bryan Ferry has ever written.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next