VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The end of ROXY MUSIC ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:11 am 

It's an interesting development : Eno is back on stage after 50 years, Phil and Andy announce a new album together... And Bryan ? Kind of disappeared. As so often before, his management also seems to have fallen asleep.

It was the last opportunity after the 50 year tour to reunite everyone under the Roxy brand and I believe that the band members were willing and able to do so.

As so often: Missed opportunity.

It would be honest to the many fans to announce the end of Roxy Music now. Hey Roxy, are you afraid to take this step?

Post subject: Re: The end of ROXY MUSIC ...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:01 am 

It seems fans and musicians are living in different worlds. My first reaction to Phil and Andy`s new album was,"-Oh,..., there goes that opportunity..." Time of suspense expired.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:34 am 

The last update of the Ferry website was on 27th October last year. I'm sure there will be an update soon re the Mamouna deluxe reissue but there is little communication from Team Ferry during these quieter moments.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:17 pm 

No new music whatsoever for 41 years and completely inactive for something like 33 of those. Welcome though some of the sporadic touring reunions have been, not least the triumph of 2001, Roxy's obituary was penned decades ago.

Great memories and a massive legacy, but sadly it's over, save for scrambling about in the archives to knock out a SDE once a decade or so to a dwindling number of fans. For such an influential band it is, I believe, a demise without parallel. Lesser bands and artists live on, with profiles undimmed or even enhanced compared to their heyday, thanks to proactive management and a level of engagement which has simply never existed in Roxy's case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:49 am 

@UKRichard

Outstanding contribution. You are absolutely right.

With the Avalon album, Roxy Music was buried. What came after that was just calculating commerce.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:01 am 

Uwe wrote:
@UKRichard

Outstanding contribution. You are absolutely right.

With the Avalon album, Roxy Music was buried. What came after that was just calculating commerce.

Not to mention "The High Road" EP. Utter try to cash in on the momentum of Avalon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:17 am 

After 18 years, the Stones are now releasing their new album Hackney Diamonds. It is the first Rolling Stones album of new material since 2005.

Thats how to do it. Great guys!

The gentlemen Ferry/Manzanera will definitely meet at Christmas 2031 and plan their world tour for the 60th anniversary of the band over a delicious cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:55 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
No new music whatsoever for 41 years and completely inactive for something like 33 of those. Welcome though some of the sporadic touring reunions have been, not least the triumph of 2001, Roxy's obituary was penned decades ago.

Great memories and a massive legacy, but sadly it's over, save for scrambling about in the archives to knock out a SDE once a decade or so to a dwindling number of fans. For such an influential band it is, I believe, a demise without parallel. Lesser bands and artists live on, with profiles undimmed or even enhanced compared to their heyday, thanks to proactive management and a level of engagement which has simply never existed in Roxy's case.

Over the years on this forum there have been some excellent postings and some not so good. Needless to say that yours comes into the former category Richard and you make some very good points. Over the last 51 years Roxy have made 8 studio albums and have been active together for about 20% of that time give or take. So our heroes have been working on their own solo projects, working with other bands etc for the other 80% of the 51 years. So what means a lot to us fans could be thought of as a side project to the members of the band. There is still enough creativity in the band to make a good recording, but the time to do that has been and gone. Also I think the only reason that there was a (mainly US) tour was part of the Hall of Fame package. I'd just appreciate a statement saying that Roxy are finished and then we can move on.
Roger
PS Uwe for many years I believed the clain that Germans don't have a good sense of humour. Well after having a German manager in the 80s I know that the reverse is true. Your "cup of tea" comment was brilliant :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:40 pm 

Roger wrote:
So our heroes have been working on their own solo projects, working with other bands etc for the other 80% of the 51 years. So what means a lot to us fans could be thought of as a side project to the members of the band.

That's an excellent point, Roger. The overwhelming majority here, I'm sure, are fully supportive of those myriad solo projects by all concerned, even though there's a perhaps understandable focus on BF. But when year in, year out, Roxy play little or no part in their professional lives, I'm sure the band members do regard it as something of a side project: consigned to history long ago but resurrected almost whimsically to commemorate occasional anniversaries. Hankering after something 'more than this' has been almost exclusively the purview of us lot - the fans. Admittedly those particular flames were briefly fanned by the 2005 recording debacle, but even 18 years on, a contingent still call for new Roxy recordings in the complete absence of any evidence whatsoever to suggest it'll happen. Indeed, the available evidence - such as it is - points unequivocally to the contrary.

A 'move along, nothing to see here' statement wouldn't go amiss, but communication has never, ever, been something Roxy / BF excel in and, even when they do put something out, they invariably resile from it or concede delays. Thank goodness BF (for one) and his advisors chose the music industry and not something like politics. When release dates for things like a FYP SDE and Mamouna DE are such closely guarded secrets to be kept confidential from a fairly niche group of fans, it can only fill one with horror to think how they'd handle something that was actually important! :roll: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:03 pm 

I’m always keen to read UKRichards posts on this site, sometimes cynical, sometimes challenging, ( not a bad position to take ) and always well informed and witty.
Plus I have been given a new verb, resile, which is wholly appropriate for this site. And elsewhere.

Those who hanker after a Roxy Music swansong are deluded.
‘Roxy Music’ is simply an exercise in nostalgia. It finished 40;years ago.
There won’t be a FYP special edition , nor a Viva Deluxe extended edition.
Mamouna 2023 and Horoscope look they will see the light of day this year but what a tortuous journey we’ve been on with this release.