VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Linda Thompson’Proxy Music’ album cover art
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:23 am 

Ha ! I posted this on the BF board by mistake - meant to post it on the Roxy Music board ! Anybody else seen this ? - Saw this album cover a few days ago and initially thought it was a Roxy Bootleg - because usually the cover art on these things is so tawdry.. Also , I’ve seen imitations / homages of Roxy album art before - mainly Country Life … However this has a completely different feel - IMO it’s horrible - like something from a nightmare parallel universe. I read an interview with her where she described the original Roxy cover as ‘daft’ which makes her sound like she has no understanding of 70’s aesthetics. Actually can’t bear to post the image - if you’re interested google the album ..

Post subject: Re: Linda Thompson’Proxy Music’ album cover art
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:38 pm 

Actually I think it’s quite brave of Linda Thompson to pose like Kari Ann on this pastiche of the first Roxy album. She is 76 after all and one of the great British folk singers who is sadly suffering from a rare voice disorder called Spasmodia Dysphonia which means she has to have guest artists to sing her songs here. It’s an intriguing line up including such artists as John Grant and the Unthanks - so that has caught my interest.

So the title Proxy Music is a pun as such and Mr Ferry I’m sure would be one of the first to appreciate this. After all, a lot of the so called serious side of Roxy was very tongue in cheek with a nod to nostalgia and glamour, bucking the trend of the dirty denim years of the late 60s and early 70s.

I hope it’s a great success for her when released in mid-June

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm 

It may be an interesting album - and she’s a trouper - I like a lot of the work her family have been associated with - but for me the cover is a great idea gone wrong - I find the image disturbing. ( nothing to do with age ) I just doesn’t work for me .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:08 pm 

I'd say this disproves the long-held convention that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am 

UKRichard wrote:
I'd say this disproves the long-held convention that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Maybe the best response to any post ever :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm 

Well, this just confirms my long held belief that I’m out of sync with the majority of posters on this forum….!