VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best Roxy gig ever
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 pm 

Wondered what people's best ever Roxy gig was. Mine was Granby Halls in Leicester in 1981. The main Hall was standing and I was right near the front. Bryan had his "Jealous Guy" suit on and they had the Flesh and Blood blinds to hide behind at the beginning. Were you there? What was your favourite?

Post subject: Re: Best Roxy gig ever
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 am 

My first gig was 1973 Birmingham town hall for the STRANDED album, I remember the sound not being great and the stage having exotic palm trees on.
My favourite Roxy gig came the following year again in Birmingham, at the Odeon this time. This was a great gig, sound and presentation were perfect and Bryan had turned into a great frontman.

Ah, those were the days

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 pm 

Sounds wonderful, I wish I had seen them during the early and "golden" years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:09 am 

Tryptich wrote:
My first gig was 1973 Birmingham town hall for the STRANDED album, I remember the sound not being great and the stage having exotic palm trees on.
My favourite Roxy gig came the following year again in Birmingham, at the Odeon this time. This was a great gig, sound and presentation were perfect and Bryan had turned into a great frontman.

Ah, those were the days

;)

Mine would be the two nights at the Hordern Pavilion, Sydney in April '75, towards the end of the Country Life tour. Although, I feel they peaked as a rock band around the time of the Newcastle City Hall gigs in October '74.

Re: the above post: It's strange that there are no pics (to my knowledge) of the stage set for the Stranded tour complete with the palms, foliage and ruined arches. Anyone know of any?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 am 

My first concert was the Rainbow Finsbury Park London in March 1973 on the FYP tour. Band were introduced on stage by Amanda Lear, Brian Eno was there with the crowd shouting more for him than for Bryan. I was in the 3rd row and it was my first real concert. Memorable.
I got to see them on every subsequent tour, never missed a tour.
All have been great.
Dublin 2001, opening night of their reunion tour, sound wasn't great but very special after a 19 year wait.
The Koko Club concert was the best recent concert, initmate and they did many older numbers that hadn't been played for many years.
Oh such memories.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:40 pm 
Site Owner

The buzz of the Dublin show 2001 was amazing. There was no new album being toured so it was difficult to predict the set list and that made it very exciting. Song after song I was like a wee boy on Christmas morning unwrapping presents.

There came a point in the show when the played Dance Away, Jealous Guy, Editions Of You etc and I thought 'that's us into the usual end of show 5-6 numbers when suddenly If There Is Something & More Than This 2 songs I never thought I would hear live again and that just made me wonder for the rest of the show what was coming next. The icing on the cake was of course the pure theatre of 'For Your Pleasure' at the end. I was at about 15 of those shows and I am sure some where better performed, tighter, better audience etc but that buzz was something I don't think I will get again at a show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:38 pm 

1976 Siren Tour in Los Angeles - opening with Bryan singing "Sentimental Fool" off stage - slithers on stage in the "military" garb with the Sirens in the airline stewardess garb.

After that - I was never the same. Never.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm 

October '74 at The Rainbow. Could have been an early punk gig there was so much green hair about!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 pm 

dublin 2001
and the koko gig a few years ago

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

Glasgow Apollo 24/10/74. My 1st Roxy gig. Stunning opening with Prairie Rose. Single at the time was All I Want is You. In all the gigs I've seen this is still the only one where I've seen them play these songs. There was something very special about any Roxy gig at the Apollo. Bryan said so himself. The Sept 2001 gig at SECC in Glasgow was a stunner also.