VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Tour
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 pm 

All very quiet! Still 3rd row seats on Ticketmaster for Newcastle, so I wonder what's going on? The usual bungling? An advert in the Sundays promising rarely performed tracks might have shifted another £1m of tickets, but that would involve work.

Post subject: Re: The Tour
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm 

I think we may be pleasantly surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm 

They are absolutely hopeless. They could have generated soooo much more interest with a promise to play some different material live, or a new CD of unreleased stuff like the sessions from 1972/73, or the video from Wembley 1975, or just something of interest rather than the same stuff we've had for the last few years. The PR machine did a great job in the 70s and 80s with newspaper interviews, TV appearances, etc. However, since 1990, with so little output, people have just forgotten about Bryan and Roxy. The Roxy tour of 2001 followed by the DVD, Live CD, Bryan's release of Frantic and subsequent marathon tour, was close to the saturation levels we had in the 70s and 80s. I think Frantic did fairly well, reaching something like number 6 in the UK charts. However, Bryan disappeared again and we had to wait another 5 years for his next release. I think it's just too late now. The diehards like me and you will still be there but the mainstream audience has gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 pm 
Site Owner

To try and instill some confidence in what they band intend this tour and if anyone is not buying a ticket because they expect it to be the same stuff as the 2001-3-5-6-10 Roxy Music tours then all I can say is that you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have seen a list of what they are rehearsing and if the rehearsals are good enough and that they play this stuff on the tour then it will be a great set list (Plus I am sure some of the favourites that you expect them to do)

J.O'B.
P.S.
(no e-mails asking me what's on the list please)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
To try and instill some confidence in what they band intend this tour and if anyone is not buying a ticket because they expect it to be the same stuff as the 2001-3-5-6-10 Roxy Music tours then all I can say is that you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have seen a list of what they are rehearsing and if the rehearsals are good enough and that they play this stuff on the tour then it will be a great set list (Plus I am sure some of the favourites that you expect them to do)

J.O'B.
P.S.
(no e-mails asking me what's on the list please)

John

I too am cautiously optimistic about what they might play - its time they stretched out but we have to remember thats its nine years since they did a proper tour - everything else has been festivals where you need a different type of set list

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:52 pm 

It's good to hear that they are seriously considering new songs and a new set for the concerts in Jan/Feb/early March. I didn't see any of their shows last summer, but I was struck by how seemingly uninspired their performances of Virginia Plain and Love/Drug were on the Jonathon Ross show. In contrast, the "extra" performance of Dreamhome/Heartache that was filmed for Ross (but not shown over the air) exhibited a spark that distinguished it as something special and distinctive.

As a collective, Roxy can still deliver, but they are in danger of just going through the motions if they keep playing the same material over and over and over... The dilemma they face is that much of the crowd wants to hear "The Hits" but the "Hits" aren't necessarily what provides for the best overall musical experience. I think about that with "Heart/Still Beating" which I never considered to be particularly noteworthy song, but on the Live album from the 2001 tour it is something I really enjoy, especially PM's solo.

As the mini-tour fast approaches, I am becoming more envious of people who have tix for the shows. I sense that they will be well worth seeing...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm 

Richard, all they did at the festival gigs was make the set list a bit shorter and included one new song. Wow ! I realise they would need to perform at least 10 old favourites to keep the casual fan happy so, I can put up with VP,Street Life, Avalon, Dance Away, Oh Yeah, Strand, Editions, Remake, JG and LITD. They should boot out the rest and do 7 or 8 new ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:45 pm 

Ian S wrote:
Richard, all they did at the festival gigs was make the set list a bit shorter and included one new song. Wow ! I realise they would need to perform at least 10 old favourites to keep the casual fan happy so, I can put up with VP,Street Life, Avalon, Dance Away, Oh Yeah, Strand, Editions, Remake, JG and LITD. They should boot out the rest and do 7 or 8 new ones.

I can do without Dance Away - but agree otherwise - like John I think we may be pleasantly surprised. I am hoping for some real obscure and good stuff.

I also think this will be their last arena tour sadly so it had better be good.

I am also one of those who think they should get over it (BF) and record a new album

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm 

If our source (JOB !) is correct then this could be a great tour. Don't let us down lads !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 am 

I have said before that the Avalon stuff should be dropped. If the whole set came from the first 4 albums i would be overjoyed. Apart from OOTB Country Life has been virtually ignored is post 1970's tours. Prairie Rose, All I Want Is You and If It Takes All Night would bring the house down IMHO. Throw in Would You Believe from the 1st album and i will go home a very happy man. Thoughts???