VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Album Sleeves
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Owner

What's your favorite Roxy Music album sleeve.

I like 'For Your Pleasure' the best. It looks good on well printed copies but I have seen some where the background is not as black as the panther and Amanda Lear and therefore they look stuck on to it.

'Siren' is another favorite of mine. I recently went to the location where that had been shot and have been working on a wee documentary about that sleeve which will appear as video footage on this site when the site is complete.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Album Sleeves
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 pm 

"Stranded" is by far the most sensually appealing cover.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:55 pm 

The First 3 sleeves are all iconic, especially the inside's of the covers. My fave for many years was For Your Pleasure, but I love the story of the Stranded cover and Maralyn Cole looks amazing, also the band inside with the Warholesque (I feel a covers album coming on!) tinted photos.
And how I so wanted to go to London and have my hair cut at Smile, at the age of 13, possibly not.
;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:58 pm 

I was always taken by Kari Anne's expression on the first album .. Couldn't work out if she was saying .. "come hither" or "Keep Away" .. I like the colour scheme, the props and the texture of the textiles and her hair and make up ... thought it looked full of yearning and slightly dangerous / Frantic ... also I love Bryan Ferry's strange facial expression and pose on the inside . As a teenager I would sit for hours trying to catch these moods by copying both Bryan and Kari Anne over and over again in sketch books ..which only made me realise how bizzare it would be to actually strike these poses in real life !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:50 pm 

Maybe I'm going for the obvious, but the Country Life cover is my favourite. This and the Stranded cover especially invite us to think 'what else is going on?' - with Country Life you're prompted to think that the photographer has caught the models doing something else. Why are they there, what's their relationship, where are they etc.
The Manifesto cover is also evocative, with the 'mannequins at a party' theme tying up quite well with 'Trash' and 'Dance Away'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 am 

For me it has to be 'Stranded' its sexy and classy, Marylin looks beautiful and teasing ( For the men that is, not me!!! ) not so struck on 'Country Life' but can see why Men like it ;) Siren is always a nice cover and i suppose getting sprayed bright Blue for hours on end has to take some credit!!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm 

Gotta be Country Life. The girls...the sex....the foilage.....Need I say more? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:43 pm 

Ah, I knew the 'Country Life' cover would be a favourite for the fellas, but you do realise that the girl on the right is actually Brian Eno? haha

Sorry Brian if you tune in, but you gotta agree :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm 

1.For Your Pleasure
2. Roxy Music
3. Country Life (the older it gets, the more it dates, the more it's become a classic...or anti-classic, imho)
4. Manifesto (is it true that one or two of the mannequins was human?)

rather like all the others too, even the thrill of it all and the one with the raven. even saville's flesh+ blood which i used to dislike looks rather good now, though reminiscent of BF's ill-received albert speer/leni riefenstahl comments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:43 pm 

For me it has to be "Roxy Music", the pose is so powerful (alluring? caught by surprise?) and the colours work really well.
2. For Your pleasure: I love the inside as well, those outfits are fantastic!
3. Stranded