VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glasgow gig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:10 pm 

Hi, im a new member to your forum,just joined tonight. been a roxy fan since 72, first saw them at greens playhouse,glasgow,april 73 and was blown away by them. was devastated when eno left the band .roxy music album must be the greatest album of all time [in my humble opinion]. To be honest i was a bit apprehensive about going along last night,just wanted to remember the old days,needent have worried they were awsome, still makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Good review in the telegraph, but criticism of ferry,s voice a bit harsh i thought. Band still produce that crescendo of sound that is uniqely ROXY... :D

Post subject: Re: Glasgow gig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 am 

First off, Hi to everyone here.

The first Glasgow show of this tour, was also my first ever Roxy Music show and I loved it as did my wife. We had good seats 5th row from the front of the stage and the I've always found the Clyde Auditorium to be a be a pleasant venue to attend.
I'm glad I looked on here first to get an idea of the setlist.

Despite not having seen them live before, I'm old enough to have bought their albums as they were released and I was pleased with the song selection and at this one we got "Let's Stick Together" as a bonus. At the "yelping" part, Bryan Ferry looked to the right where the 2 back up singers had performed the aforementioned "yelps" and seemed highly amused. I think he also gave his harmonica to someone at the front after the song finished.

In the past 2 years, I've seen Springsteen (several times), U2, Mark Knopfler, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Eagles,The Doobie Brothers, Dylan and Cohen and I'd put the Roxy experience up there in the top three. Now, I just want to see them again.

I don't think this Scottish News Of The World review has been posted. Hopefully, it can be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm 

Never thought I'd ever say this, but something good in the News of the World!! Great review, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm 

Hey Bob

No doubt you spotted that they thought Oliver's guitar solo was INCREDIBLE. Looks like you were in the minority on this one as you suspected. I really enjoyed it and thought it delivered an edge that contrasted nicely with the body of the song - but I know where you were coming from.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am 

Ha ha- yes I spotted that.

I know what you mean about Oliver's solo providing an edge that is needed in that song. In the early part of the solo I thought it was just what was needed as well- I do enjoy good "rock" guitar- but there is a fine line between a good solo and one that overdoes things and in my opinion (and that of my wife) he just crossed that line. From the ovation Oliver got on Friday the other 2998 members of the audience disagreed with us. Fair enough, it's all personal opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm 

Short review..........................

I have uploaded my video of "Just Like You" to YouTube and a couple of clips of feauring Paul Thompson, all from the Glasgow show on the 28th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-W5NAX4mU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oP2bhZMB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6P4Aoqz-l0

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 pm 

Thanks for posting the review and the vids.

Now somebody please, upload the (apparently) incredible (soundboard like) recording of the show on the 27th to the torrent sites.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm 

Good to see the words "art rock" and "avant garde" still being used a lot these days to describe Roxy, especially on the current tour.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:55 pm 

I am surprised that their has been no review from Billy Sloan, the Scottish Music Journalist as he was in the audience both nights. I guess he must have just been there as a fan rather than "working".

8-)