VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2nd Glasgow Show
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 am 

Another storming performance. Subtle changes to set. Jealous Guy came earlier and no real encore as such as the band didn't go off, just played right through. To Turn You On added and no Let's Stick Together this time. Crowd in excellent form again. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the tour. So glad they did 2 nights in Glasgow.
Haste ye back!!!

Post subject: Re: 2nd Glasgow Show
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 pm 

Yes, possibly the best Roxy concert I've been to in recent years. It was my 13 year old daughter's first Roxy gig and she loved it (despite the fact the we had split aisle seats and I had a rather inebriated woman sitting in front of me: my heart was in my mouth every time she made her way along the front of the upper circle to pay a visit, smoke a fag or whatever...) I loved the stage set - the background projections were excellent and worked really well with the song choices. Great to hear ITIS, TTYO and Sentimental Fool. Please come back soon! x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:30 pm 

Yup, totally agree, a superb concert from start to finish. I loved the back projection used throughout- the "Virginia Plain" and "Do The Strand" sections particularly strong I thought.
This was the first time I have seen Roxy live even though I've been a fan since their first TOTP appearance all those years ago. There are all sorts of reasons why I haven't seen them before now but having kicked myself round the block and back for missing the 2001 tour I was determined not to miss this chance and the band proved they are still one of the finest bands around! Even the tracks I'm not too keen on ("Amazona" and "Bitter Sweet" since you asked) were performed so well that I must go back and reassess those tracks.
Maybe one tiny quibble- young Oliver's guitar solo in "My Only Love" started off well enough but for my taste verged towards self indulgent by the end. I realise I'm probably in a tiny minority here since the audience clealrly loved him, but sometimes less is more.
A wonderful night, one of the best concerts by any artist or band I have ever attended. Thanks to everyone concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 am 

Wish I could ditto all of the above but came home feeling a bit flat from the gig.
Have spent the last 48 hours trying to work out why because I was so looking forward to it for so long.
Sure, there were problems with PM's equipment more or less throughout ITIS which distracted and detracted in equal measure, and some of the momentum that had been building up nicely up to that point was lost.
Also, the lighting was too gloomy throughout. I know that it makes sense to drop light levels to create mood, particularly on the more atmospheric songs, but not constant darkness from start to finish. Maybe it wasn't as bad as this but that is how I remember it. The result was that the band didn't engage enough with the this member of the audience and left me feeling a bit detached. I suspect that the lighting had to be low to accommodate the back screen - and this was a clever prop - but a bit of balance between the 2 would have worked better.
All of that said, I am convinced that the root problem was lack of atmosphere and crowd participation. I was near the front of the front circle and would have expected to be in amongst proper fans as these were top price tickets and well positioned seats. Admittedly there were pockets of enthusiasts, but for the first time ever at a Roxy gig I felt seriously outnumbered by the "nice night out" crowd. These guys sat politely through all of the "essential" first half of the show and only came to life when the lush stuff kicked in (if you can call swaying in unison in your seat with your arms in the air and waltzing in the aisles "coming to life"). I was waiting for the lighters to come out - that would have put the tin lid on it ! Is this the future for RM live? I if so, you can count me out. "Stay cool is still the main rule" after all.
It definitely looked a lot more like the real deal down at stage level but, even so, I can't help feeling that we are an endangered species - and that is so depressing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 pm 

Interesting point about lack of audience participation.

I too was in the front circle but maybe further back (row L) and saw a couple of guys trying to participate early on by standing up and dancing along. The SECC staff came down on them like a ton of bricks and though one of the guys tried valiantly for a song or so after about the third ticking off from the staff he stayed seated- I don't know if he was threatened with eviction but certainly his final ticking off seemed fairly lengthy. The yoke of oppression was only thrown off during VP when virtually the whole circle stood up and stayed that way until nearly the end.

Certainly the SECC staff did not encourage audience participation, quite the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm 

The 1972-1980 official fan club used to sell he first 3 rows (I think) of tickets to fan club members only. That really created some atmosphere. Gawd knows who gets them now because they always seem to be gone even when you queue up before they go on sale !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm 

I don't know the answer to that but would not be surprised if they are snapped up for corporate entertainment. I think that gigs are increasingly becoming part of the corporate circuit and corporate seats probably command a big premium.

There has been some chat about big variations in ticket prices from one row to another at some venues on the tour, which kind of supports this idea.