VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Live album and DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am 

According to interview with Mr Ferry there will be a live album and DVD from this tour - wonderful

Post subject: Re: Live album and DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 pm 

Excellent news, sign me up!

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:46 pm 

I was wondering about a live album. This is good news for people who aren't in a position to attend any of the gigs. The interesting songs will be those that weren't performed during the 2001 tour.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:05 pm 

According to the Manchester Evening News Bryan has said that he and Roxy Music had picked last nights M.E.N Arena gig to be filmed for an upcoming DVD

He said: "Manchester has always been one of my best audiences, so it made sense to film the concert there. "The fans are always so vocal"

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:17 pm 

Oh dear - poor Andy had a lot of technical problems last night as the show went on. I can't imagine that they'd want to release it. With luck they'll have filmed more than one and could release a live compilation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 pm 

To pick the best from the whole tour and then issue it as a live album, would be better, maybe. This was how the 2001 live album was made.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm 

Cherrypicking performances may produce a technically perfect show, but it often leaves one with the feeling of owning a generic 'product'. I prefer my live albums on the warts-and-all end of the spectrum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm 

I think it spoilt the live album from the 2001 tour and also meant that it was too long after the tour when it came out.Picking from different shows also showed in the songs from the beginning and end of the tours, the early concerts were to my mind a bit more rough and ready (for roxy) while the later ones were too polished.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 pm 

I consider the 2001 Live album to be very good indeed (although I usually skip RMRM and Streetlife when I play disc one). Songs like ITIS that were only performed at the beginning of the tour (June) don't seem to have the rich, fullness of songs taped later in the tour but I had no complaint with the tracks recorded in September (Dreamhome/Heartache, recorded at the first gig after the 9/11 attacks, is particularly moving). And, though I never considered Oh Yeah to be one of my big faves, the version they recorded in Detroit in late July was IMHO one of the highlights of the entire album.

What I never liked is the DVD filmed from the last two concerts in London. The camera moves waaaayyy too much and the editing is so intrusive that you never get an opportunity to WATCH anyone long enough to care about what they are doing. In contrast, I have viewed the 1982 BBC coverage of the Frejus concerts (The High Road) many many times and enjoyed it despite the fact that TGPT is absent. When it comes to concert DVDs, simpler is better. Way better...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am 

I was at Crowded House at the SECC a few years ago and you could get a CD of the gig (and all the others on the tour). When I now play that it was "my" night and brings back my memories, even though other setlists or sound quality might have been better.

Maybe there is room for that and a "perfect" concert?