VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Birmingham LG Arena
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 am 

Well, the Brum gig was just fine! The set list was as expected and, while we can all think of tracks we'd add or ditch, it suited most of us down to the ground.

My seat was in the fifth row at floor level, but we ended up standing throughout after security allowed the first three rows to venture forward to the crash barriers. No great burden for most of us, but probably a pain if you need to sit for health reasons and a few middle-aged legs had begun to wilt by the half way mark!

BF was on good form; while it's true that he can no longer hit some of the high notes, he knows this and doesn't try. I think the backing singers are used cleverly in this regard and there is still much to love about the old boy's voice, IMHO. ;)

Having got used to twin (and sometimes triple) guitars and keyboards on previous tours, I was surprised that the same apparently now applies to drums and saxophones! :?

While Tara Ferry was introduced as a percussionist, rather than as a drummer (he appeared only to have a snare drum, a drum pad and one cymbal), it's a complete mystery to me why anyone should think that TGPT needs any help whatsover! The closing moments of FYP, the closing tune, still raise the hairs on the back of the neck...

Equally surprisingly, Jorja joined Andy for a couple of saxophone burn-ups; it was effective, but he didn't look in too much need of assistance to me. (For the real trainspotters out there, Jorja played alto & tenor, while Andy did likewise plus curved soprano & oboe! :geek: )

I was interested to read about the Manchester sound problems and the (possibly scuppered) CD and/or DVD recordings. There was certainly filming aplenty at Birmingham, so start saving for those next live releases!

For those going to Nottingham & London, you should find some nice merchandise. Really nice programme (albeit at £15), a wide range of t-shirts (incl. Kari-Ann, FYP, Country Life, F&B and Avalon, all at £20), coffee mugs of the first two album covers (£7 each; only available post-gig in case we used them as missiles apparently!) etc.

The best bargain appeared on the three merchandise stands only after the gig: black & silver FYP posters bearing the list of tour venues and signed (in silver marker) by BF. These were individually numbered in a limited edition of 150 (I assume that's 150 for each gig or they'd have sold out last week!) and only £15.

The poster was the cherry on the icing of the cake for me; once framed it'll be a nice companion piece for the framed inside cover of my FYP album, which is fully autographed by all five band members (including the reclusive Eno). All that remains is to work out how to persuade Mrs S to let me commandeer sufficient wall space; I can feel an expensive purchase of flowers looming...

Post subject: Re: Birmingham LG Arena
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 am 

Thank you! made great reading, comforting news just wish I was there! Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 am 

Great review - thanks for the tips...I at going to the London gig
front block row q I think and have been building myself up to a frenzy playing all the albums, watching teh DVDs, rereading Both Ends Burning (love that book) "I think that you're becoming obsessive" offered tolerant wife last night....and scanning the forums etc for news of the tour...can't wait can't wait.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:42 am 

Nice review from the LG. I was there too. Thought the sound quality was excellent. Superb set list, Only one gripe, the lighting was bloddy awful. The only spot lights on the main players seemed to be from above thier heads. Still can't complain.
I was told the people at the front had paid £140 each, I was on row J at £ 65, the people on the row in front of me had paid £ 130 ! Don't know how this happens.
To all of you going to the remianing gigs, you are in for a great night.
P.S I managed to get TGPT's autograph, the others were having a party for Phils 60th, one of the dancers said they wouldn't be out till 1.30 so in sub zero temps we gave up the ghost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm 

Smudge wrote:
The best bargain appeared on the three merchandise stands only after the gig: black & silver FYP posters bearing the list of tour venues and signed (in silver marker) by BF. These were individually numbered in a limited edition of 150 (I assume that's 150 for each gig or they'd have sold out last week!) and only £15.

The poster was the cherry on the icing of the cake for me; once framed it'll be a nice companion piece for the framed inside cover of my FYP album, which is fully autographed by all five band members (including the reclusive Eno). All that remains is to work out how to persuade Mrs S to let me commandeer sufficient wall space; I can feel an expensive purchase of flowers looming...

I got one of these myself and thought they were great value for the money. Pity they were not a standard size for more econimical framing, looks like a trip to the framing store! I never thought that there might be 150 for each show? There was still a big pile left when I got mine after the show at Glasgow. Can I ask you Smudge, are you sure your poster is black and silver? The ones on sale at Glasgow were black and gold, autographed in gold marker and the one pictured in the programe is aslo black and gold. I am just wondering if they are doing more than one colour!

Great review BTW! I had two fantastic nights at the Glasgow concerts and apart from a few gremlins thought the band performed really well and had no problem with the set list. Well, maybe a couple but it would be greedy I suppose to list the ones that didn't appear that I would have loved to hear. The early stuff they included was fine by me!

8-)

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm 

I was also at the Birmingham show. I thought it was excellent. The set list is demanding for the casual concert goer. But looking around me last night I'd guess most people new 2HB, Amazona etc: Last time Roxy played the LG they played for 2 nights, last night was the only night and the rear end of the hall was curtained off, so I'd say that there were about 10,000 there rather than the 13,000 capacity.
The show itself was darkly lit, and there has been no talk of what the frontmen were wearing. Well Phil (the birthday boy) was in what looked like a deep purple linen suit (but with the lighting it looked black), nice sparkly boots though. Andy was in his usual teddy boy/oriental jacket etc:
The let down for me was Mr Ferry, looking daper in plain black suit, white shirt and black tie. The suit looked like an "off the shelf number" from M&S, it looked tired and not that well tailered. A far cry from the sparkle of the 00's. I did think at one point when all the main men were stage front it looked a bit like an buisiness mans knees up.
The main players: Phil was note perfect throughout, Andy blew his heart out as ever, Bryan was in good voice and better mood, quite chatty and still moving like a man 15 years his junior.
So to the songs. I was let down by a couple.
ITIS was the first, Ferry at the piano for the whole song left the stage empty and the song has been shortened considerably and lacked the epic power it normally has.
Sentimental Fool was the second, I felt it should have morphed out of Tara, as it was it never quite achieved it's epic feel and climactic finish.
DTS was just brilliant and the graphics montage a true delight. The ending with FYP still works for me.
So a great Roxy Music concert, not quite the same energy as 2001, but then niether have I. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

First time seeing them, they were absolutely amazing!!
I was on Row D and could even see Bryan when he was sitting at his piano!!
Excellent 10 out of 10.
I particularly enjoyed Prairie Rose, thought this was superb and Same Old Scene had the place bouncing!

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:38 pm 

The Birmingham show is now doing the rounds amongst collectors. Thanks again to the kind gentleman who taped and shared his recording.

If anyone taped, or is planning to tape, any of the other shows on this tour, please get in touch via PM.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm 

Roxy wrote:

Can I ask you Smudge, are you sure your poster is black and silver? The ones on sale at Glasgow were black and gold, autographed in gold marker and the one pictured in the programe is aslo black and gold. I am just wondering if they are doing more than one colour!

Happy to confirm that my poster is black/silver and signed in silver marker. The one pictured in the programme is indeed black/gold, although personally I think silver works better, so maybe there are two or more versions. Lord knows, I must resist any temptation to buy another one after the O2 gig! :o

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 am 

Thanks for the info Smudge, now I have "poster envy" :lol:

I think I would have picked black & silver given the choice but I will treasure the one I have anyway :)

8-)