VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No encore? Not at all
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:10 am 

I keep reading that they've not done an encore on this tour. Well, they don't need to. Rrather than going through the standard routine of leaving the stage and then coming back on, the last four songs on the set are the encore substitute. And they could not possibly return to the stage after For Your Pleasure fades out. That would just be ridiculous.

Post subject: Re: No encore? Not at all
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm 

From the way that they perform it, FYP clearly has to be the final song of the concert. But what they could do is have the band leave the stage after Jealous Guy and then return for an encore of (say) LST followed by FYP as the finale. It adds only one extra song to the set, but the crowd would get a sense that they've been treated to an encore.

Yep, here I am advising Roxy on how they should put on a concert! I'm sure that they'll be fascinated to get my advice and wonder: "Why didn't we think of this!

For some reason BF and Roxy don't "do encores." I don't know why, but that's the way it is....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:36 pm 

Quote:
For some reason BF and Roxy don't "do encores." I don't know why, but that's the way it is....

I'm curious to know why you say that DCJ?

I have seen Roxy and Ferry many times over the years and Glasgow on Friday was the first time I have known them not to leave the stage and return at some point near the end. The show usually consists of 17-19 songs then they leave the stage and come back to do a final 2-3 songs. After having no break on Tuesday at Newcastle they had put the "encore break" back in on the Thursday night, exactly where I thought they might. They seem to be experimenting as they reverted to no encore break at Manchester.

As the OP said, it is pretty obvious by the order of the songs leading up to FYP that it will be the last song and there is no other track you could really follow that with.......ta-ra.......ta-ra.......ta-ra :)

8-)

Set lists from the 2 Glasgow shows below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 pm 

As the OP said, it is pretty obvious by the order of the songs leading up to FYP that it will be the last song and there is no other track you could really follow that with.......ta-ra.......ta-ra.......ta-ra :)

With apologies in advance for my poor sense of humour, the only track that they could conceivably follow this with would be "Tara"

More seriously, I think that it is a stylish and idiosyncratic way to wind up a gig and I don't know of any other band that does anything like this.

I guess that they could bookend things by kicking off the show with The Thrill Of It All . The opening lyrics are a clear statement of intent and this is a real barnstormer of a track - but would that be too naff ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:57 pm 

Maybe they do encores and my experiences have been idiosyncratic. But when I saw them in 2001 and 2003 I don't recall anything I would call an encore. And when I saw them them three times in the 70s I don't recall any encores (and for one specific show I know with certainty there wasn't an encore).

But hey, maybe they do encores and it's simply something that has escaped my attention. Nonetheless I have no sense of people posting about Roxy gigs and using phrases like "and then after the encore..."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 pm 

if my memory serves me well(and it aint what it used to be) didnt Roxy do a double encore at the SECC in Glasgow in 2001. Anybody else remember this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm 

If memory serves right Ferry didn't do encores as such on the dylanesque tour, much the same as now with the "encore" songs in the main show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm 

There was definitely a double encore at Glasgow in 2001. More precisely, there was one encore but 2 songs. I am pretty sure the first was Do The Strand and certain they finished with FYP.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 am 

Avondale wrote:
There was definitely a double encore at Glasgow in 2001. More precisely, there was one encore but 2 songs. I am pretty sure the first was Do The Strand and certain they finished with FYP.

The two final songs at both the 2001 shows in Glasgow were indeed DTS and FYP.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:05 pm 

Ofcourse encore is not obliged - nothing is - but I missed it. It helps me in my mind to close it off properly.