VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: No encore? Not at all
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm 
Site Owner

I am sure the band have time constraints on the length of their show so maybe they don't go off stage to save time and use that time for another song. We are getting 20+ songs every show so I think we gain at the expense of an encore inthe traditional way of leaving the stage. The way they finish 'For Your Pleasure' is an obvious end to the show and leaves an audience with no mistake the show is finished.

My 16 year old daughter went to see Usher at the SECC the night after Roxy were in Glasgow. Due to the lateness of the show she had to get a £30 taxi to my sister's house 20 miles away as she had missed the last train.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm 

Do we need an encore???

I don't always think so and in this case I am not to fussed to be honest

Its about the show, the whole experience - FYP is the perfect ending and I think an encore would cheapen the whole experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:06 pm 

Richard wrote:
Do we need an encore???

No. It's a silly convention, designed to make naive audience members feel somehow special that they've coaxed their heroes back to the stage through sheer enthusiasm. The fact that 99.9% of encores are pre-planned and appear on the setlist doesn't seem to matter.

The way the FYP gigs have (generally) been ending is perfectly acceptable and, IMHO, stylish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 pm 

Personally I like them. gives us a chance to get the old Roxy chant going. 2nd night in Glasgow they milked the applause for a good minute or so after LITD before EOY and DTS so it was sort of an encore. Anyway as long as you've enjoyed the show and had value I don't suppose it really matters. A bit jealous that Dreamhome is now in the set. Lucky Nottingham.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm 

I don't mind one way or another as they still perform the same amount of songs. I don't feel I have been deprived if they play straight through the setlist.

I have read some comments and reviews that have been a bit negative about the lack of encore in the traditional sense. They imply there was no connection with the audience and "they couldn't wait to leave the stage". Not in my opinion I should add. I agree that there is no track that could or should follow For Your Pleasure, any break would have to come before as it has done in the past.

At the 1st Glasgow show FYP was the final song of the encore. The band left the stage after DTS returning to perform JG, LST and FYP.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 pm 

This is true, and after seeing them now three times on their current tour I believe that the way they end the show is brilliant, however, when you are at the first concert in Newcastle and they leave the stage and do not come on again you are surely disapointed, its only the next day that you realise the sheer magnitude of the concert and the songs played, hats off to them for breaking the mould !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 pm 

I don't think Roxy needed to do an encore at all. It was plain as they were going off 1 by 1, waving to the audience, during FYP that that was to be the end of the show.

To satisfy the need of those who feel they were short changed by not having an encore, they could perhaps have gone off after Editions of You and come back on for Do The Strand and For Your Pleasure. But it made no difference to me, I have immensely enjoyed the 3 shows I seen so far - Newcastle, Manchester and Birmingham - O2 still to come.

I saw someone (can't remember who it was now) within the last year who said towards the end of the show, 'We're not going off and coming back on again to do an encore. That's just wasting time. This is the encore.' They then proceeded to do another 2 or 3 songs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:30 am 

Makes no difference to me if you get the same amount of songs in the end. However, it is a great laugh with everyone getting stuck in and chanting for their heros. Audience participation !