VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: When he walks in the room then you'll know...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm 

Ferry's leisurely stroll onstage at the start of the Newcastle Roxy gig was sublime and it set me thinking - what were the most memorable entrances the great man has made at the 10 RM/BF gigs I've seen. For me they were the white tuxedoed crab walk for the 'Main Thing' Avalon gigs and the leather trousered, harmonica playing 'Let's Stick Together' for the In Your Mind solo tour - I only wish I'd been lucky enough to witness the Gaucho look.

Post subject: Re: When he walks in the room then you'll know...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 am 

Most of us who did still wish we could get it out of our heads!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 am 

The Goucho look was awful ! I'm still trying to forget it ! I think one review at the time said he came on stage looking like a Spanish Traffic Warden !

I loved the Manifesto tour entrance and the crab walk during the Avalon tour. Flesh + Blood's tour featured Manzanera Mackay and Ferry standing behind and casting shadows on giant venitian blinds. I remember thinking we were gonna get a whole arty show of shadows ! The 2001 tour opened with RM/RM and had Bryan behind the keyboards but I loved the way the whole band got involved and chanted CPL 593H. Even Manzanera ! Great moments !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:22 pm 

Hi Black Cat (former South Hylton resident here by the way!),

My favorite BF entrance was for the Siren tour (I saw it at N'cle City Hall); the lights stayed down all the way through the gorgeous sinister build-up and first few lines of "Sentimental Fool," we were getting desperate as the tension grew and grew, then when he got to "How can I hold on?" a single spotlight picked out his head and shoulders, centre-stage, and we went ballistic as the blast of "SENTIMENTAL FOOL" was accompanied with an explosion of full lighting and there they were, it was spine-tingling!!

Personally, I was expecting something similar with the Manifesto tour, with another slow and powerful build-up, I was hoping he would appear at the top of those Pearl and Dean-type temple steps with "I am for a life around the corner," that would have been a great way to make an entrance.

Keep the faith.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:49 pm 

I liked the Flesh and Blood Venetian blinds .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm 

Wa it really steps in between the pyramids for the Manifesto Tour. I thought it looked like a painting on a board to look like steps. They used that big fan/tunnel thing for the European leg of the Avalon Tour in 1982, but used the blinds for the USA/Canada leg of the Avalon Tour in 1983.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Owner

I loved the 88 tour with the incense burner and the 94 tour when he threw the glitter at the opening "spell"

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:18 pm 

Can anyone remind me which tour it was when they played songs from The Sound of Music before they came on? Maybe 1979?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:52 am 

This is amazing. The rush of the thought of the entrance of BF.

The Manifesto Tour in Detroit was incredible....The hammering intro of TGPT...BF slithering from stage right.....head down....clapping hands (slightly out of time)......feet moving in and out...pointing in....then out.....I will never forget!!!

The Avalon tour did have the venetian blinds-from the Flesh & Blood tour???

The blinds in Detroit were three large panels-gorgeous with a japanese script in the middle of each panel. I think the script/japenese word was enclosed in a circle. The two end pieces flanked a middle symbol at different heights.

Can anyone confirm the US stage set-up?

The glitter for Mamaouna was too cool!

What was the intro for Flesh & Blood???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am 

Agatha wrote:
Can anyone remind me which tour it was when they played songs from The Sound of Music before they came on? Maybe 1979?

Hi Agatha,

It was the Siren tour, we all had a laugh when that came on!

I made a typo in the excitement of writing about the Sentimental Fool entrance, he of course sang "How can I go on?" not "hold on." I hate making mistakes.....