VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: London O2 Arena
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 pm 

My 1st Roxy show and reading the setlist beforehand I was a bit concerned (lots of album tracks but not my favourites).

small gripes would simply be the venue and poor spotlighting.

That said. WOW WHAT A SHOW. As a younger man I watch a lot of contemporary acts and I can tell you Roxy can hold there own. If Ferrys voice was a little lost in the mix the rest compensated.

A track like Prairie Rose which I wasn't excited about was so well done if blew me away. Overall as a package it really worked and it felt like there was something for everyone. Great graphics, great moves, great music.

It's a cold impersonal venue but by the end they'd really warmed it up and along the way sold some tough songs to casual fans and some 'easy' songs to the hardcore.

Bravo I say Bravo!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm 

The artsdesk review is clearly written by someone who really knows Roxy. Praise be. I found the review to be well worth reading.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm 

I too have 'grown up' with Roxy having bought the first two albums in March 1973 (I was only 10 !!) and being totally blown away. By 1975 I thought I was Bryan Ferry 8-)

For reasons too numerous to mention, this was to be my first Roxy concert (though I did see Bryan and his chums on the 1994 Mamouna tour), and I have been keeping an eye on the recent set lists, so I knew I'd be in for one excellent show.

On the whole I was far from disappointed, sound quality was very good from where I sat (8 rows back from the front/left), though there were a couple of glitches (Phil's guitar at the end of Dreamhome for one). My biggest gripe was the seating - very cramped and uncomfortable (mind you that didn't matter from Same Old Scene as by then we were all on our feet).

My highlights were Pyjamarama, If There Is Something, Bitter Sweet, Prairie Rose, Amazona, Sentimental Fool.

BF's voice sounded good, PM and AM were superb and TGPT was simply awesome. The end of Sentimental Fool made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Also impressed by the tour programe and a good selection of T-shirts (though not cheap they were still fairly reasonable).

All in all - a brilliant night, shame it only lasted 1hr 55 mins - they could have played all night and I wouldn't have complained.

Roxy Music was the band that got me into music and for that I will always be eternally grateful.

Good luck with the Australia/NZ tour.

Viva Roxy Music.....!!!

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:20 pm 

Stunning show: The Emperor Himself on top form, bespectacled and shadowed, Manzo (never world class) best I've seen, The Great (forgot to say that didn't you Bryan?!) Paul Thompson sublime, Ferry's voice stronger than recently.

But TheO2? Barn of a place that no sound engineer or PA can do justice to; too tall, too big, too much echo. Shame.