VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: London O2 Arena
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:17 am 

Another cracking gig tonight; at least as good as Birmingham!

BF in good voice and, as if aware of the debate in this forum about encores, teased the (rather sedate) crowd with pauses before Editions Of You and Do The Strand (that album cover montage on the backdrop screen is just crying out to become a coffee table book!).

Did the merchandise thing again on behalf of myself & others; weak will is great fun at times! Overheard one plank ask his wife if they had a t-shirt bearing the logo "I didn't know half the songs"; would have been tempted to buy them one each, but they looked daft enough already... :twisted:

Went for a post-gig chat over Belgian beers with one of the "lurkers" in our midst (i.e. regular forum reader who has yet to submit his first post); will endeavour to get him "activated" soon, as he's interesting company. Talking like a pair of old maids caused us both to miss our last tube trains, but...

...As I left the bar a group of about 8-10 well dressed folk exited IndigO2 opposite; it was only as I drew level that I recognised the tall chap at the front as Phil M! We shook hands and exchanged brief pleasantries about the gig; I told him my next CD purchase would be the deluxe Quiet Sun reissue and he slapped me on the shoulder and exclaimed "good man!".

TGPT & Jeremy Meehan were also in the group (it may have been Jorja walking behind Phil, but it seemed rude to look past him during our brief chat), so I thanked them too, but needless to say I'd taken nothing to the cavernous O2 for signing (unlike Birmingham, where I didn't come within a country mile of any of them!). :(

Eventually rolled home at 2 a.m., which was half an hour later than last Monday from Birmingham (quite impressive for a local London journey... :roll: )!

Post subject: Re: London O2 Arena
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 am 

I totally agree with Smudge London's 02 was indeed a cracking gig and has surprisingly entered onto my top three Roxy gig lists of all time (and I've seen every tour save the Manifesto tour) it was that good! I was expecting an acceptable yet so-so show and walked away thinking otherwise and grinning ear to ear. I don't regret the price of the tickets nor the venue. I'm very glad that I decided to go and those on here who passed at the chance missed a great night out. Everyone was on amazing form especially Phil and TGPT. Bryan's voice was more than solid despite being given some added help for the higher notes on Sentimental Fool.

I agree that the crowd was a bit sedate (I missed the Roxy style football chants of yore) it being a Monday evening may have been the cause but I was really surprised that after an entry segue of
The Main Thing - Street Life - Pyjamarama - If There Is Something - Prairie Rose that the place wasn't on their feet! Oh well, we're all a bit older a perhaps less agile!

Ever since '01 reunion, every time that I see the boys play I'm always wary that it may be their last. If last night were to prove to be that 'final show' I'd naturally be saddened yet left with respectable memories.

I eagerly await the reviews in the press today!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:04 pm 

Despite RM being part of my life's soundtrack since '72 this was the first time I've seen them in the flesh (possibly I wasn't a big enough fan back then as I spent my concert cash on other competitors). Anyhow, this was a superlative performance and I can't think of more than dozen in the last 40 years that I've enjoyed more - despite the impersonality of the O2 as a venue.
Why wasn't the crowd up and jumping?- simply because the whole process of getting to the O2 on a Monday evening (many coming from a day's work) combined with the systematic fleecing you encouter from arrival until you settle in your seat leaves most people of advancing years with a 'so entertain me' attitude. Clearly, many of the crowd sitting around me had long forgotten how to rock (if they ever knew in the 1st place). Doesn't look as though the press are up to reviewing the gig as they've already put out their sneering pieces written by snot-noses who don't understand (and care less) about the place that RM occupy inmanypeople's heart. The projected montages and close ups were inspired, the band tight and tugging at all the emotions at every turn. Thanks guys, you made an old man very happy (or at least the dancers did ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm 

Thanks guys, you made an old man very happy (or at least the dancers did )

At the risk of sounding like Sid The Sexist (from Viz magazine?), I had the rather nice bonus of being seated to the right of the stage (below the red haired dancer's podium) at Birmingham and to the left (looking down on the blonde dancer) in London. Now that's what I call getting the balance right in your life! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 pm 

I too thought they were on terrific form last night, despite the relatively subdued crowd. Heard several moans on the way out about unfamiliar material but this is an inevitable problem for acts with a significant back catalogue -Springsteen has the same problem if he doesn't play "Born In The USA" - casual fans want to hear the hits (and there were plenty of hits included in the set list) but for long-time fans the chance to hear some overlooked gem is worth the admission price. Interesting that it took something from the much-criticised "Flesh + Blood", "Same Old Scene", to get the crowd going.

Maybe it would work better if the older album tracks were interspersed with the hits rather than played as a batch. But it was great to hear them. All of them. Let's hope it wasn't for the last time by the group.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 pm 

Jonathan Ross tweeted this morning:

'Morning. Roxy Music last night one of the BEST gigs. Manzanera on guitar just remarkable, and Ferry's voice as beautiful as ever.'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 pm 

True2Life wrote:
Heard several moans on the way out about unfamiliar material but this is an inevitable problem for acts with a significant back catalogue -Springsteen has the same problem if he doesn't play "Born In The USA" - casual fans want to hear the hits (and there were plenty of hits included in the set list) .

I don't get this 'casual fans' bit (grumpy old man alert) - either you like a band and are interested in how they will present their gig and what may surprise you, or you can stay at home and watch a greatest hits video. Some people have too much disposable income if they can go to a gig like last night and say there was too much unfamiliar! Other than Dance Away I can't think of anything that would have been 'familiar' that wasn't played. They still are a fine rock group, not a singalonga Brian muzak machine. At least we were spared the spectacle I witnessed last year at the Clapton Albert Hall gig of several gereatric hen parties doing the hands aloft sway thing during Cocaine! Did they think they were going to see Cliff Richards :roll:

On the point about this morning's Ross tweet, yet another excellent piece of ingratiation from the King of Crawl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:10 pm 

The art school dance goes on forever

At the O2, Roxy Music played with the same vigour and flair they did forty years ago. They all wore smart suits, except new boy Oliver Thompson on 2nd guitar. The girls wore cocktail dresses. The slide show was Richard Hamilton meets Vogue, mesmerising images relevant to each song. The music was angular, in the manner of their first vision, only tempered mid way with Avalon and Tara, a stunning sax virtual solo from Andy Mackay. Ferry’s immaculately cut Savile Row suit gave him a look of Don Draper. Amazing how an elegant suit can suggest conservatism yet be quite threatening when the wild behavior of its wearer becomes apparent. Rather like Gilbert and George doing the watusi, or the menace of The Krays. Iron fists in velvet gloves. Same Old Scene was for me the highlight. Always a favourite and it had the crowd, already itching to dance, up on its feet. We never sat down again. A triumph.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm 

Hello Roxy fans,

Was my first "proper" Roxy gig last night and I enjoyed it ever so much. I'm in my mid-30s so was only aware of the later Roxy Music stuff until relatively recently. I then discovered the first two albums and have become progressively entranced as I discover a new song/ album.

Last night didn't disappoint as a gig but the O2 is hideous. Thought the sound was all over the shop to begin with but It seemed to be sorted for If There Is Something onwards (I was in bk 102 near the back)

Personal highlights were too numerous to mention after that though Sentimental Fool was spell-binding as was well all of it really. Thought Andy Mackay was a legend beforehand but seeing him up close and personal (well seeing him onstage anyway) and marvelling at his exploits.
Also loved the projections, well thought out and put together.

The O2 though... I think its the last gig I'll ever go to in there. Saw Prince in there too and again I was just shocked by the amount of people not really watching (ok it was a "difficult" setlist for the casual listener) but to pay top dollar and continually go up and down the stairs to buy the hideously over-inflated beers.... £4.50 for a bottle of Stella ffs.... whilst talking through the more obscure numbers... I wish I'd seen them in proper, smaller, provincial, standing venues back in the day. But then I've still got most of my hair"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:58 pm 

Fair review here:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=27

"Wilful and perplexing, clichéd yet unpredictable. That was last night’s Roxy Music, two bands at once"

Oh and any band that doesn't do an encore gets the thumbs-up in my book. And how could you do an encore after For Your Pleasure anyway?