VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: For your pleasure but was it theirs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:32 pm 

Mention has been made of the frostiness between Ferry and the other band members of Roxy during these past concerts and lack of communication with the audience, it left me wondering why.
The timing of a Roxy tour in the middle of Ferry's olympia promotion, wouldn't it have made more sense to tour olympia then do the Roxy tour?
When did Paul Thompson stop being 'the great'
When did Ferry stop introducing the band "this is Roxy music" or "we're Roxy music"
The amount of time spent behind the keyboardsbut not actually playing them and disappearing of stage.
Was Andy Mackay consulted/happy to have a second sax player? and are Manzanera and Mackay consulted about the other musicians as the last few Roxy tours have seen virtually identical Roxy and Ferry touring bands rather then containing people who have worked with the other two.
How much effect as the aborted Roxy album had on relationships within the band?

Post subject: Re: For your pleasure but was it theirs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

"How much effect as the aborted Roxy album had on relationships within the band?"

It must have been terrible, -devastating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 am 

Paul Thompson will always be The Great Paul Thompson as far as I'm concerned, whether Bryan introduces him as such or not. Twice Bryan introduced Andy and Phil to great acclaim but Paul's introduction seemed rather downplayed. A shame. Noticed Paul clapping Tara enthusiastically though when he was introduced.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 am 

This site intoduces itself as:-

"A Virtual Museum covering the work of Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay."

Why no TGPT ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:09 am 

Hi pmctbc - if you look at the menu on the left of the Homepage, you'll see a link to TGPT's work - so he is covered on this site. I guess that TGPT may not be mentioned in the main site banner because the others have produced more self-penned individual solo work over the years, but maybe TGJOB (The Great John O'Brien) could answer this one ?

Robert.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 am 

Is Paul an official member of Roxy Music these days? My understanding is that he never rejoined as a full-time member, after leaving in 1980, but is essentially a session musician -- similar to when Rick Wright left Pink Floyd, but continued to play with them.

Paul was not present at the 2001 press conference, nor included as an active member of the band in any of the pre-publicity for the tour. A reminder:

http://www.manzanera.com/RoxyArchive/RoxyMusicTour2001/prreport.htm

In other news, I propose J'OB be known as The Unbelievably Great John O'Brien. Or TUGJOB for short :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Owner

J.O'B. will do :oops:

When I built the original site during 2000-2001 I wanted to focus on not just Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry's solo work but to give the other solo work equal billing and attention. At that time Roxy had stopped being a band for 17 -18 years with no sign of a reunion.

The only members to play on all 8 Roxy studio albums were Bryan, Phil and Andy. I had a huge interest in their solo work and had collected all the Phil and Andy solo work and their primary collaborations to same level as Bryan. I took pride in this site as being the only site to give their work equal attention. I created sections about their solo album/singles/songs etc just the same as I had for Roxy and Bryan's solo stuff. I did the same amount of research etc regarding the other musicians who work on Andy and Phil's albums as I did with Ferry's

I have huge admiration for Paul and his contribution to Roxy Music and also where he appears on Bryan, Phil and Andy's solo work. Paul like Andy and Phil has done some session work for other artists over the years but has not released any solo work. With this in mind there is no reportoire or recorded output to class as Paul's 'solo work'. The nearest I suppose could be the work he did with The Metaphors and that is already covered in the Andy Mackay section.

When deciding where to draw a line on the site on how deep to focus to the level of detail I have tried to do I stopped at Bryan, Phil and Andy's solo work as they had played on all 8 Roxy albums. I could have gone to the extreme and included for example all Rik Kenton's stuff (and everyone else in between) but he only played on one single from Roxy's entire career, so a line had to be drawn somewhere.

When re-building the site the last couple of years I decided to put a page in the main menu for Paul, Eno and Jobson to draw attention to and give recognition to the part they played in Roxy Music

(just) J.O'B. (please)