VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sunset, end of my day, my decline.......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 pm 

Well, loved the Newcastle and London gigs, but I fear that's the end for me. Hats off to them for learning some new old songs, but the total failure of the great man to engage with the audience has become too awkward to take any more. In some ways it's lovable in a teenage kind of way, but in a sixty-something multi-millionaire it just doesn't work. Fortieth anniversary shows were the ideal opportunity for a bit of banter, a few memories, a joke or two, but we got zilch. It's precious beyond words. You can't help feeling that these people weren't nearly this reticent, bashful, reserved etc when it came to telling the management how much cash they wanted to do these shows.
Sadly, the lack of grasp of humanity displayed in these disengaged performances cuts right through what I once felt to be the incredible feel for emotions exhibited in the early work. It makes it feel fraudulent. And that, is bitters end.

Post subject: Re: Sunset, end of my day, my decline.......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 pm 

Plus he was better dressed in the dreadful Dylanesque gigs. He was downright gaudy, he couldn't have cared less.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:14 am 

application'sfailed wrote:
Well, loved the Newcastle and London gigs, but I fear that's the end for me. Hats off to them for learning some new old songs, but the total failure of the great man to engage with the audience has become too awkward to take any more. In some ways it's lovable in a teenage kind of way, but in a sixty-something multi-millionaire it just doesn't work. Fortieth anniversary shows were the ideal opportunity for a bit of banter, a few memories, a joke or two, but we got zilch. It's precious beyond words. You can't help feeling that these people weren't nearly this reticent, bashful, reserved etc when it came to telling the management how much cash they wanted to do these shows.
Sadly, the lack of grasp of humanity displayed in these disengaged performances cuts right through what I once felt to be the incredible feel for emotions exhibited in the early work. It makes it feel fraudulent. And that, is bitters end.

"I’m just gonna let you pass
Yes, and I’ll go last
Then time will tell who fell
And who’s been left behind
When you go your way and I go mine"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 am 

Don't think you'll have to worry about it any more - End Of The Line?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 pm 

Don't know about End of the Line but maybe we'll never see them on an arena tour here again.

I loved the setlist, loved the overall show, thought the playing was up there with the best but hated Ferry's lack of interaction at the O2 - it was a real shame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm 

I agree with these comments .............. I thought the lack of comment was just at Nottingham but it seems it was everywhere...why???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 pm 

sorry, i dont agree with any of these comments. I was at first Glasgow show,played a fantastic set list, introduced band near end and did an encore. I was happy, didnt want or expect any banter, jokes or bulls..t. just a great show. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:31 pm 

I was at the second night at Glasgow, best Roxy gig I'd seem, no audience interaction required. Ferry just does not need to do any banter, other than as MC. i.e introducing the Band, just do the music, brilliantly. Thats all I want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm 

When have you ever heard Ferry talking at length, telling stories or jokes in between songs....never! He doesn't do that, never has and never will. He's Bryan Ferry, not Bono talking his uninteresting political crap or Bruce Springsteen harping on about the good ol' USA. It wouldn't be right, 40th anniversary or not, and I for one am glad he didn't, it keeps his image intact.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 am 

Mr. Rifff wrote:
When have you ever heard Ferry talking at length, telling stories or jokes in between songs....never! He doesn't do that, never has and never will. He's Bryan Ferry, not Bono talking his uninteresting political crap or Bruce Springsteen harping on about the good ol' USA. It wouldn't be right, 40th anniversary or not, and I for one am glad he didn't, it keeps his image intact.

I agree. It's about music being played, first and foremost. So BF, tells stories etc and you lose 2 or 3 songs from the 1 hour 45. That would seem like a price not worth paying - and it interrupts the flow of the concert.