VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Time for remastered deluxe editions of the studio albums?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 pm 

With 2012 bringing the 40th anniversary of the release of the first Roxy Music album, wouldn't this be a suitable opportunity for all eight studio albums to be reissued in re-mastered form with bonus content? Queen have done the same this year, albeit they haven't managed to please everyone with the bonus content they have gone for.

How about a deluxe edition of each album with a second disc consisting of out-takes, songs that didn't make the original albums (if there are any around), B-sides and live versions of songs from the original tours for each album ("Stranded" songs played live on the "Stranded" tour)?

Post subject: Re: Time for remastered deluxe editions of the studio albums?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:22 pm 

HMV online are taking pre-orders for a forthcoming (27-6-11) "Classic Albums" 2CD set of Siren/Avalon, only £4.99.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... ;-1&sku=14

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 am 
Site Owner

True2Life wrote:

How about a deluxe edition of each album with a second disc consisting of out-takes, songs that didn't make the original albums (if there are any around), B-sides and live versions of songs from the original tours for each album ("Stranded" songs played live on the "Stranded" tour)?

You may not be far off the mark, there are plans for something along these lines and it is someway towards completion but it has still to be finalised on what format and content. I have been involved in this for about a year and it looks promising.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:36 am 

Wow ! Now we're talking !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 am 

OK J O'B, you've got me hooked and drooling in anticipation. I realise you won't be able to give us much if any more info at present, but can you give a timescale for more information coming out?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 am 

JOB, please use your influence and try and get them to release stuff that isn't already available. I hope we don't get audio or visual stuff that's already available. Nothing from Musikladen , Manchester 1979, Frejus 1982 or The Apollo 2001 please ! The Thrill of it All DVD box set was fairly disappointing as most of the stuff was already available. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm 

Having "lost" access to a lot of original vinyl stuff, and with then purchasing cassette tapes (don't use them now either) and cds, personally I would love it if everything there ever was was reproduced along with unpublished stuff.

Got to say that while some of the tracks omitted from the Thrill of it All box set were sorely missed - Serenade/Spin me Round/True to Life - the overall package was beautiful and it still thrills me just to read it, it oozes class.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 pm 

Roxy wrote:
HMV online are taking pre-orders for a forthcoming (27-6-11) "Classic Albums" 2CD set of Siren/Avalon, only £4.99.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... ;-1&sku=14

8-)

I am scratching my head to understand why these 2 albums in particular would be teamed up into a 2CD package. Can anybody explain the logic because it is lost on me?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 am 

I'll be as interested as the next fan in these editions but they really do have to add something to what has gone before, given the many 'opportunities' we've been given to buy them over the years. I agree - nothing from Manchester 79, Frejus 82, Musikladen etc.

These will inevitably be aimed at fans but with the right content could easily have at least a slightly wider audience but again, with the 1999 remastered editions the norm now (and generally as cheap as chips), they have to be genuinely 'deluxe'.

As for the Siren / Avalon pairing, this is presumably a record company decision? It's a combination every bit as inexplicable as some of the predecessors - I seem to recall 'As Time Goes By' and 'Frantic' were packaged together in similarly clunky plastic a few years ago - something for even the most die-hard collectors to avoid.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm 

Previous "double pack album" releases have been:-

Roxy Music/For Your Pleasure
Siren/Country Life
The Early Years/Avalon
The Best Of(2001)/Avalon

8-)