VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: All I Want Is You
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am 

Arthur Black's in St Enoch's Square would have sorted you out no bother! Just a pity they are long gone.

I don't want to appear controversial, and with due deference to Bryan's style icon role, but I have always thought that Andy was the coolest dresser in the band. He tended to take the street cred style of the day and move it on a bit - rather than try to create a complete new look. His picture on FYP is a great example of this. 40 years down the line it might not look much different from the rest of the guys - but from the back combed streaked hair to the crepe sole shoes, it was very much what the cool young dude on the street was aspiring to at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 pm 

Andy invented the mullet too

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:03 am 

There were three style icons in Roxy. Ferry, Eno and Andy. It's good to see some recognition for Andy's übercoolness.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 am 

Not many bands could claim to have more than one stand out member in their ranks, Roxy had 3 (sorry PM and PT, you looked great too). Andy was definitley the coolest and my personal favourite. Any true Roxy man worth their salt always had AM as the top man...imo.
Just remembered it's the great man's birthday! Happy Birthday Andy 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 am 

Love this song so much. Best Roxy single ever

Last edited by mona22 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:32 am 

Saw Roxy Magic on thursday night and they did it - it sounds absolutely superb live (even if by a tribute band). In fact they made a superb job of everything - except Remake Remodel which was too fast.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:46 pm 

It's a long time since I started this thread. All sorts of gems from the BF/RM back catalogue have been resurrected and given live airings over the intervening period, but never this. Why? It was a significant hit single, certainly in the UK. It was the song that introduced me to the band. Maybe BF just doesn't like it or he thinks it doesn't suit his voice these days. The latter seems unlikely - he can use the backing singers live for any notes he can't quite reach now. The entry on this very website states that it was the start of the less experimental, more straightforward Roxy. So tailor-made for the 2016 touring line-up, I'd have thought.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:36 pm 

Roxy wrote:
I would agree with all of the above, the perfect 3 minute single, my favourite Roxy Music single.

Thanks to Fin of the Roxyrama band for alerting us to this rare clip on Youtube. I am sure we have all seen the version from TOTP, October 1974 many times over but this one is new to me. Filmed in Dutch TV studios.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpSu_XU ... dded#at=50

8-)

Gone now. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:46 pm 

True2Life wrote:
It's a long time since I started this thread. All sorts of gems from the BF/RM back catalogue have been resurrected and given live airings over the intervening period, but never this. Why?

So tailor-made for the 2016 touring line-up, I'd have thought.

Cher True2Life,
W2 is with you on this. He loves this song.
It has a real louche feel to it and like 'Serenade', it has tremendous energy and a fast start.
As fare as its inclusion in this tour's set list is concerned - the debate will continue to rage.
W2 is strongly of the opinion that the more avant-garde numbers should get more of an airing.
It was interesting at the Palladium show-there were a couple of discerning younger hipsters hugging the stage in front of the Windswepts who went berserk when he played older numbers like 'Beauty Queen' and certainly W2's youngest son can't get beyond the first four albums.
Peut-être there is a bigger audience for pure Ferry than he imagines?
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 am 

First of all: I love All I Want Is You because I love every single Roxy song, apart from 'Cry, Cry, Cry' ;-) When AIWIY came out I was 15 and a little bit disappointed that I couldn't hear Andy's saxophone playing on this song. Later I recognized that his sax tracks were only mixed into the background. The saxophone could have been a little bit more audible IPMNSHO.

Great performances by Phil and Paul and, yes, True2Life, it was the start of a less experimental Roxy with a noticeable desire to have a big success in the charts. AIWIY didn't have a real chorus but it was rather melodious. I don't think it isn't suitable for Bryan's voice these days but maybe he doesn't like it any more ...