VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Why does Bryan dislike Roxy?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 am 

JO"B

That hits the nail very firmly on the head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:43 pm 

By the time Avalon came out, Roxy were so diluted, that they were a shadow of themselves. Thompson had gone, and Manzanera and Mackay didn't have that much input any more. The last Roxy tour had 2 guitarists, 2 Sax players and 2 drummers which made me wonde if Manzanera and Mackay would be plugged in !! I quite like Bryan's solo stuff, but Roxy haven't functioned as a proper band for years. So, I'm with Andy here !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 pm 

I sometimes think about the last couple of Roxy studio albums as the "Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music" period.

Reading all of the above, plus other comments posted of late elsewhere on the forum, is there anybody out there who really believes that there is any more to come out under the Roxy banner - either live appearances or through new recordings? If so, it would be good to hear why you are so optimistic.

At best, I suppose that they might do a TV thing if they picked up a Brit Award for Lifetime Achievement or something along those lines, but that doesn't seem likely. It would probably go to Bryan rather than the band anyway.

As the song says, "There's no more time for us, nothing is there for us to share but yesterday"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:03 pm 

I don't think that Bryan dislikes Roxy (the near 50% amount of Roxy songs on the current playlist would suggest) but I do think that Bryan sees himself as the owner/managing director of Roxy (the brand) and Andy and Phil, and Paul to a bigger extent, as being his employees judging by his tone towards them in interviews. It's also worth pointing out that Roxy haven't been a band since siren and after manifesto the co-writes diminished as Bryans influence increased and Phil and Andy's decreased considerably. The choice of additional players is very much Bryans as well, how many people who have played with Phil and Andy have made it into the Roxy touring bands since 2001?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:15 am 

Well, Bryan said about the proposed RM album that he wanted to use other players - assuming that is Tara, Ollie and such like. Thus the we end up with Olmpia, a BF album. This is why, due to the input from others I say that F&B and Avalon are BF album's with a bit of RM input but sold under the RM banner. For me RM finished with Manifesto and I think that only just scrapes in as there is some tunes on there that have un listed players on.
I don't think Bry dislikes RM in fact I think he is very proud of it and rightly so. But maybe he feels as though he has out grown RM perhaps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:57 am 

I see Manifesto as the last real Roxy album too. I heard a story that to save money, a lot of Flesh +Blood was worked on at Phil's Gallery Studios in Chertsey. But during these sessions, Bryan spent most of the time working on songs with Neil Hubbard and not Manzanera. All in Phil's own studio ! And Phil lived there as well !! Having said that, Bryan is a perfectionist and he is on a musical journey. If Phil, Andy and Paul can't give him the sound he's looking for, he can get someone in ! Just look at the number of musicians involved on Bete Noir. As for Roxy reforming, it is pretty pointless now. Bryans songwriting is averaging out at an album every 8 years, so at this pace we would be lucky to get 2 Roxy albums before they all hit 80 ! And who would buy it ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:02 am 

The bottom line is, if "The Bride Stripped Bare" had been a huge success with rave reviews and a No.1 album, with 2 or 3 hit singles in the same league as LST, then there would have been no Roxy re-union in 1979.

But because of the musical trend of the time, record label rejection of the original songs, patchy covers and uninspiring originals, maybe due to writer's block, the album was a commercial disaster.

Even BF admitted that his name was not as hip as the Roxy name
with the punks/new wave crowd, so basically that was why he got Roxy back together.

I saw a French(?) tv interview with the band online a couple of years ago, where BF was being interviewed separately form Phil and Andy, and I thought the way he was referring to them was almost as though he was looking down his nose and being quite impersonal, so maybe he was a bit pissed off at having to work with them again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am 

I have always been of the impression that Bryan has always thought of Roxy as 'his baby' . I read somewhere that only him and Phil and Andy have the rights to the Roxy name, which is a real shame for PT. Heard years ago that sometimes their artistic differences actually resulted in 'fisticuffs' :shock: . Maybe they have differences today -who knows but I don't think we'll ever see another Roxy album now.

In actual fact I personally don't consider 'Olympia' as really solo work of BF's as there was an extreme collaboration of musicans, including phil!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm 

since the Beatles,the public seems to have the misconception that music groups will always be happy go lucky moptops..after a few years together, they start to hate each other's guts and they break up ,go solo and reunite. it's business ...but it is also good music that brings the musicians back..Roxy Music has withstood the test of time and the many musical incarnations the band has gone thru..usually without repeating themselves like so many other acts do..i don't think there is dislike or hostility,imagined or otherwise between the original Roxy Music members.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 am 

Ferry needs Roxy to be at his best. His solo career doesn't interest me at all, except Boys and Girls, and perhap's Bête noire.
What a waste of time for the Roxy fans... Now it's over.