VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Albums similar to Avalon and Boys&Girls?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:59 pm 

Oh yes.... The original album version of "Exorcising Ghosts" by Japan or "Gone to Earth" by David Sylvian are good places to start. I got into Roxy in 1985 (I'm young you see!) and these albums were the first that I bought as a direct result of my interest in RM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am 

Another one to try would be "So Red the Rose" by Arcadia the Duran Duran off shoot. It is very textured and layered and additionally features Andy Mackay on sax.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 am 

Yes 'Icehouse' is a good shout.....try their album 'Primitive Man', lovely album and a very similar Ferry sounding singer... It was also released in 1982 as was Avalon.

Icehouse's only UK hit "Hey, Little Girl" (from that album, if I remember correctly) did sound remarkably like F&B/Avalon era Roxy/Ferry.

The connection ran deeper, albeit only by coincidence, as Guy Pratt toured as Icehouse's bassist and covers this in his book "My Bass And Other Animals"; it's an amusing read and can be found fairly cheaply on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am 

This is a hot one: Destroyer - Kaputt (2011). Canadian indieband influenced by Boys & Girls. Check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm 

Early japan sounded like bowie, then they sounded quite roxyesque (gentlemen take polaroids and quiet life). Since then sylvian started to develop his own style via yellow magic. His repertoire is very impressive, and he is far less worried about commercial compromise - my assumption based on his material - than nearly any of his contemporaries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:18 am 

What about The Cars ? They had a Roxy feel and sound and were huge in America.. Sylvian and Japan copied Roxy and Ferry so blatantly, it was sickening ! Their early work put me off Sylvian for life !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am 

Sylvian and Japan copied Roxy and Ferry so blatantly, it was sickening ! Their early work put me off Sylvian for life !

Funny how we all see things differently; I always thought Japan's Adolescent Sex album (their debut?) was their best, but it had nothing of BF or Roxy about it, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:49 pm 

"Adolescent Sex" and "Obscure Alternatives" are my favourite Japan albums, I prefer their early stuff tbh, Sylvian has a more raw vocal on these albums rather than on their later stuff which is reminiscent of BF/Roxy..I would say that their earlier albums are more reminiscent of Bowie than Roxy.

speaking of which, I picked up a copy of "Adolescent Sex" a while ago in Fopp for £3..

BINGO!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:57 am 

I take it back ! I've listened to Ad Sex now and he doesm't sound like Bryan. I had only heard Tin Drum and Gents Take Polaroids previously (around 1980) and Sylvian sounded like a parady of the great man, ! And I've always disliked him ever since !!! Although I always quite liked their version of I second that emotion and All Tomorrows Parties, which I think may be a better version than Bryan's !