VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Age is only a number...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 pm 

One of the reasons we may not get a full Roxy world tour again is that, like everything else, it gets more tiring as you get older! Having turned 50 this year, I'm already having to admit to aches and pains which weren't there a decade ago, so I have renewed respect for those who remain particularly active into their 60s and beyond.

BF will be 66 next month, Andy's just turned 65, while the "youngsters" - Phil & TGPT - have both had their 60th birthdays this year (the former on the day of the Birmingham gig, if I remember correctly).

Having allowed myself to get momentarily hung up on age, I googled a few more Roxy names, if only to make myself feel slightly younger by comparison! ;)

I don't see Chris Spedding reaching pipe & slippers territory just yet, so was surprised to find that he's 67. Graham Simpson will be 68 next month, a few weeks before Rik Kenton turns 66, but the granddaddy of them all may be John Gustafson* who was 69 only yesterday (glasses raised to JG by all here, I hope!).

Quick run through the rest: Eno's 63; John Wetton 62; Gary Tibbs may only be a relatively spritely 53, but was at least out of his teens before his Roxy tenure, unlike Sal Maida & the hugely gifted Eddie Jobson, who are still only 55 & 56 respectively.

(*BTW, in the 2011 Tour DVD thread in this forum it was suggested that Wetton was the only bassist who was ever asked to join Roxy; I found an interview with Gustafson at www.dmme.net/interviews/gus.html which suggests that he declined a similar offer immediately post-Siren.)

I really should get out more...!

Post subject: Re: Age is only a number...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm 

I think you are safer staying indoors given what's going on in London just now !