VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: More than this .
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 pm 

I've often wondered about this song - what atmospheres were being evoked ? ... Was it inspired by a novel , movie ... theatre? It seems have an overall feeling of loss - yet the chorus lyric hints at peace or satisfaction. Also, it feels mournful yet uplifting .... Does anybody know what he was on about ?

Post subject: Re: More than this .
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 pm 

I think it's quite dark. It was used in trainspotting wasn't it? I think that director got it. Typical Bryan: wrapping chilling darkness and a lyric about the complexity of addiction, in a beautiful sound.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 pm 

It wasn't used in Trainspotting, it was used in Lost in Translation :?

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm 

Ha ! At last a response ..thanks ... BUT.... I know it wisnae in Trainspotting. It was sung by Bill Murray in the karaoke room in Lost in translation. It does sound dark and it's also quite epic ... I'm also interested in why so many people covered it ...they seem to get into the yearn of it... but i wonder if they know what it is they're supposed to be yearning ? Perhaps it's just an abstract yearn !! Over the years quite a few people have said they were initially disappointed by this song but then it grew on them. It seems like strange mix of hit single and classic song which is instantly recognised and a weird hybrid MOR / EXPERIMENTAL concoction. I think that some of the songs on Bon Iver's new album also have this quality.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:17 am 

I saw Jake from Scissor Sisters on some favourite songs TV show a few years back. He named More Than This as his favourite ever song and Blondie recorded it and performed it on a tour a few years back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 am 

Love the song, however, I have an issue with it. When the song first came out, the version being played up here in Radio Glasgow land type places, was different from the album, and single version in that, at the end of the song there was an additional guitar riff. I took this up with our webmaster a few weeks back and he, more or less, told me to keep taking the tablets. Lo and behold, in my line of duty, I stumbled upon a fellow Roxy fan from Newcastle, a mariner, and in amongst the gifts we exchanged, was an album of Avalon out takes. The version I refer to above, was there, included. Is anyone else aware of this original version or, do we have our own Glasgow version of More Than This?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 am 

How many Avalon Outakes Cds are there ? I've got one but the version of More Than This is very rough and Bryan doesn't even sing on it ! He just hums the vocal line. What songs are on your copy please ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 am 

I was thinking the same Ian, and yours sounds exactly the same as mine... my disc is just titled Avalon 'Demo' none of the tracks would have been broadcast on a radio station as a commercial record.

Maybe there are more out there, I dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:12 pm 

Sorry about the error.

I know about the lit appearance. That's not what I meant :)

The Trainspotting reference is something I was told about once by another ueberfan, and we discussed it years ago at length.

Now you jog me, I think mtt was used in a trailer for trainspotting. So that editor got it :-) I'm not absolutely certain whether this was a specific trailer or a "season coming up soon on tv" thing.

Sorry my detail memory escapes me... But I'm sure there was a trainspotting mtt link, albeit not intended by the trainspotting director. Anybody got more detail on this?

Last edited by RoxySiren on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:04 am 

Anyone know what Avalon Outakes are around ?