VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Why is Manifesto the underrated and forgotten album?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:19 pm 

I think it's a great show and a great recording. The mix may be a bit unbalanced and Manzanera's guitar and Bryan's vocals are very loud, but I still like it What about Mother of Pearl, Stronger, Ladytron, Dream Home, Drug, Editions, Remake, and Strand on sides 2 , 3 and 4 ? Some of them may be a bit stale now coz they played them to death since then but it's still a great performance. Lots of energy !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 pm 

I'm guessing that Stabbs was referring to the original studio album, Ian, rather than the Warped Leatherezz live bootleg, which seems to be the subject of your reply (but if I'm wrong, just tell me to butt out! ;) ).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:41 pm 

If we re talkin of Manifesto, then I think Trash was rubbish on Side 1. ( Anyone think they were trying to recreate Virginia Plain with Trash as a first single of Roxy II ? ) Side 2 contained Cry Cry Cry and My Little Girl. The rest were OK. Even Dance Away. Although I do feel that the success of Dance Away started the drift away from Rock and more into AOR/MOR. .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 am 

'Trash' was exactly that; a very bad attempt to take 'Virginia Plain' and punk-it-up for the times! Quite cringeworthy actually. My other objection with the album 'Manifesto', however, is it saw the ousting of TGPT because he couldn't/wouldn't play like a drum machine!?!?!

And this is where the blame that must be levelled at BF began.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 pm 

It was the first Roxy album I had bought when it came out-and the last I enjoyed. I think the first or "East" Side is wonderful. I know it's popular to rag on Trash and seems to be more so recently, but I rather like the song and it's slower Trash2 version. Of West side, I can take or leave Ain't That So, hate the next three and adore Spin Me Round.

I think it is particularly interesting that each of the three opening songs had vastly different alternate versions recorded. Both the original album versions of Manifesto and Angel Eyes are superior to my ears, but Trash2 is pretty special.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:37 pm 

The answer to the question is that it is not underrated and that it is best forgotten - with the honourable exception of the title track of course.

I am fed up having to explain to the uninitiated that I am not a complete saddo for loving Roxy and that Dance Away and Angel Eyes are not in any way, shape or form representative of what made Roxy great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:17 pm 

In my view, it's mostly Ain't That So, My Little Girl and Cry, Cry, Cry which let the album down. Perhaps Trash could have benefitted from a bit more work on it, and Still Falls The Rain could have been beefed up like the live version. The other songs are ok, but still not among the band's best tracks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:56 am 

I'm with Avondale on this one, although I don't mind Trash and the original version of Angel Eyes. To me Roxy Music post 1979 were over produced and too "easy listening". Maybe it was Bryan trying to break the US market. if it was it didn't work. Tin hat on here but Avalon is by far the worst Roxy album IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 am 

I would love to love this album. I remember the pure excitement of the "Roxy Return" headline in the New Musical Express, Capital Radio London playing 3-4 songs from the album, and then actually holding the album. Then of course, the concerts at Hammersmith.
The opener was a classic, and I also quite liked Trash (and Trash 2), and could just accept Angel Eyes and Still Falls the Rain. Stronger through the Years, was good stuff, and the last song Spin Me Around was excellent. But in between? I have never understood how such songs like Cry, Cry, Cry could have made it onto a Roxy Music album. Yet, the new version of Dance Away did open new commercial doors... and that was the end of my Roxy.. and the start of a new successful era; an era which many fans do appreciate.
Yes, thirty years later, the opening chords of Manifesto still get me excited... great name for an album, ok cover, and an ancidental financial hit and new commercial road for those concerned..
All the best, Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm 

I think most, maybe all, "first generation" RM fans think they lost their special identity with the reformation, and the subsequent dropping of Paul Thompson left a bitter taste. Personally, I was worried about Trash as it was trying too hard to be new wave/powerpoppy/uptempo, while still making a typical - but by now well-worn - reference to pop art and film (Warhol and his "Trash" movie). If you've seen the movie you will see the song reflects the seedy, cheap and emotionless vacuousness of the lifestyle. At the end you just think "I don't care about these people at all."

I was chuffed Dance Away saved their bacon as I didn't want the return to fail, and, let's face it, it's a great pop song and deserved success.

Gossip:
My mates were signed to Polydor in '79 and they told me Manifesto was known amongst the staff as "The Accountants' Album," because the re-union was all about BF sorting out his tax affairs after losing so much money on the Bride Stripped Bare. They also told me that the roylaties for the Angel Eyes single were the subject of a huge falling out between BF and Andy, apparently when BF remixed/reworked the thing into a disco tune he wanted the music roylaties, as Andy had done the music on the original he wasn't happy. Apparently the roylaties for the single were put into an account and frozen for years until it was sorted.

And for my part, F+B is the worst album by far, but still has some great tracks. Avalon is so close to my heart; I cannot understand how anyone isn't moved by it.