VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Debut Album 40th Anniversary Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm 

Well, it's over a fortnight since J.O'B posted on the homepage confirmation that this set will include the BBC sessions, out-takes & demos, as well as unseen photos & memorabilia. And yet not a single forum post in response...

It seems we're collectively quick to moan & whinge, yet slow to acknowledge what is undoubtedly good news.

This set sounds pretty much exactly what I was hoping for and I, for one, am well pleased. Bring it on and then crack on with the FYP & Stranded ones for next year! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:16 pm 

...seems the food filled a void for a bit. Over the years,
I've always waited in anticipation whatever Roxy or Bryan
release, and this is no exception.

I'll keep this collection to myself and give my others away
to turn someone on to RM & BF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:10 am 

I'm very happy with it. It sounds good. I hope it's all out,not just the odd song from the odd session. Remember,this band are notorious for messing up. They split in 1976 at the height of their powers and did it again in 1983. They reformed again in 2001 and instead of capitalizing on the vibes around at the time,they just fizzled out .....again !! They should be touring this year, but toured last year when they had nothing to promote. They need to tour this year and have a big publicity campaign to promote 40 years at the top ! This year preferably !! Is that moaning ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:40 pm 

you are absolutely correct Ian! excellent observation! you should email BF & Rm websites and tell them!, not that they'll answer you or take any heed.

Last edited by Erland on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm 

As John mentioned on the front of the website, last week was the 40th anniversary of the 1st album (not forgetting this year being the 30th anniversary of avalon, also considered by some media as a landmark album). There should be the beginning's of a media blitz by now, strange how a band considered to be so influential is so often overlooked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 pm 

As a marketer, I'd advise them to advertise on radio, television, buying media on entertainment websites, etc.

Heck, I emailed Bryan's website and never got a reply. A business friend told me that big companies or brands are arrogant, and to not even bother with them.

Can you imagine if for once, Bryan would come here and say hello? We after all, pay for his fancy suits and art work.

what are they doing? sitting at a empty cafe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 pm 

I'm very happy with it. It sounds good. I hope it's all out,not just the odd song from the odd session. Remember,this band are notorious for messing up. They split in 1976 at the height of their powers and did it again in 1983. They reformed again in 2001 and instead of capitalizing on the vibes around at the time,they just fizzled out .....again !! They should be touring this year, but toured last year when they had nothing to promote. They need to tour this year and have a big publicity campaign to promote 40 years at the top ! This year preferably !! Is that moaning ?

My observation wasn't aimed at individuals, Ian; more at a collective VRM reaction.

I quite agree that the 2011 FYP tour should have happened 12 months later and with a greater emphasis on the debut album. The 30th anniversary of Avalon is, for me, a bit inconsequential by comparison, but could have been used to shift a few tickets, I guess.

Still, if anyone can produce something worthy of the description "deluxe", it's BF... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:26 am 

I for one am delighted with what has been hinted at as being included. All it will take now will be a confirmed release date which the Roxy camp actually stick to and a track listing. As in the case of the 2011 tour DVD the official website still lists it (or did the last time I looked) as "coming soon" and with even the Complete Recordings box set having its release date altered they do have a history of putting things off and changing their minds (at least their influential frontman does).

I assume that they are basing plans for similar deluxe editions of the subsequent albums around how many copies this one sells?

As a band who have "missed the boat" commercially so many times it would give me for one great pleasure to pat them on the back collectively for a job well done with this one when it does emerge. If they come up with something even half as good as the Springsteen "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" box set from 2011 then I will be a very happy bunny. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:58 pm 

To quote from True2Life, I'll get more excited about the Deluxe version of "Roxy Music" when we get "a confirmed release date which the Roxy camp actually stick to and a track listing." Presumably it will be sometime in the Fall, but we'll have to see what happens.

Deadlines have a way of slipping, slipping into the future when it comes to BF and Roxy...

But when the Deluxe version of "Roxy Music" appears and it is indeed truly deluxe then I will happily pay the freight and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:27 pm 

As the box set has only been out a matter of days I assume that it will be September at the earliest before we get anything concrete about a release date for the Deluxe version of Album One and what goodies we might get as part of this. John has kindly given large hints about the contents but I just hope it isn't going to be as disappointing a package as Gabriel's "So" re-issue, with so little in the way of previously unreleased content.

I can't see this being a huge commercial prospect that would sell mega copies so are they really worried about getting it released for the Christmas (sorry to mention that word in August) market, other than that they would miss the 40th anniversary slot? It's hardly going to outsell a new Take That album. I hope this isn't another case of "it'll be released if and when we're ready" and then all the momentum behind the project wanes. From all the comments John has made about looking for pictures/photos etc for the package it seems as if there is a genuine wish behind those involved to make this into a real treat for the fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next