VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A living piece of Roxy artwork
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 am 

So there I was on the platform at Leicester Square tube station early on Sat evening when I noticed that the young red haired girl standing next to me had a heavily tattooed arm under her lace sleeve. My eyes popped a bit when I recognised part of the tattoo as the Country Life cover girls!

Repressed southerners are not reknowned for striking up conversations with strangers and 50 year old men doing so with girls half their age carries its own health warning, but...

I asked the young lady if she was a Roxy fan and she was really pleased that someone should recognise the Country Life girls. It transpired that her left arm, which is almost completely tattooed, has elements from each of the first five Roxy album covers!

I got a brief glimpse of Kari-Ann & Marilyn Cole (Jerry Hall wasn't quite as impressive, but let's not quibble...) and was told that the Flesh & Blood cover girls would soon be added to the owner's back, where they might be joined in due course by a larger picture of Amanda Lear & her panther!

The fact that one so young should be so into pre-1976 Roxy (truly the band's golden era) was almost bizarre enough on its own, even before she decided to turn herself into a living tribute the group!

Anyway, her name's Helen and I encouraged her to browse VRM for all her Roxy info and, if she should decide to join, to consider uploading some photos of her arm!

One of the stranger meetings I've had, but also rather reassuring that vintage Roxy is still attracting new followers...

Post subject: Re: A living piece of Roxy artwork
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:21 am 

Smudge, I was at a funeral a fortnight passed Saturday, and a friend stood next to me, Melanie, had "Roxy Music. True To Life" tattoo on her upper arm. Mel is no more than 25 years of age. There is also a tattoo on a great friend of mine, on his arm, from 1974 that has got Roxy Music over Amanda Lear and David Bowie written underneath. I know because I went with john to the tattoo artist the day he got it done. Am seriously thinking of getting one done. My choice at present is "Roxy Music" as depicted on Paul's bass drum circa '73-"75. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:09 am 

Smudge wrote:
Anyway, her name's Helen and I encouraged her to browse VRM for all her Roxy info and, if she should decide to join, to consider uploading some photos of her arm!

Yes, come on, Helen! Let's see the bride stripped bare ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:35 am 

My choice at present is "Roxy Music" as depicted on Paul's bass drum circa '73-"75.

Just think of all the places you could have "For Your Pleasure" tattooed! Might bring you a lot of new friends or a restraining order from the courts! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 pm 

Peanut wrote:
Smudge wrote:

Yes, come on, Helen! Let's see the bride stripped bare ;)

Another time, Another place, maybe! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:43 pm 

I phoned Terry the tatoo artist this morning. He wisely advised against "Both Ends Burning" anywhere near my arse. :o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 pm 

I phoned Terry the tatoo artist this morning. He wisely advised against "Both Ends Burning" anywhere near my arse.

Yer man Terry's obviously a curry aficionado! :lol: You may want to avoid that location for a FYP tattoo as well; if you're determined to colour your fundament, maybe go for Bitters End... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm 

Hmm, after a curry it could be Running Wild!

Or No Strange Delight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 am 

Great replies everyone, really cheered me up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 pm 

Can't Let Go....? Oh no, that's something else, isn't it?