VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rare German footage from 1969
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 pm 

8-)

Take a loook at this German clip from 1969.
Watch closley at 0.36 and forth..

Both Kari Anne Muller AND Amanda Lear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8TcDnKT ... rofilepage

Post subject: Re: Rare German footage from 1969
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 pm 

It's very surreal ... like a fake ! Especially Kari Ann..and , come to think of it Amanda Lear too ... Fascinating . Has the feeling of a dream. What is this clip from ... A movie? TV? Thank you for this genuinely weird, almost spooky, clip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 am 

I'm not to pretend an expert of the sixties, but enjoy many of the films and music made in that era, still the music in this clip sounds like Grateful Dead, and I highly agree on the dreamy ambiens, something Fellini or Antonioni could have done. Ossie Clark (Mary Quant, Biba) was a highly acclaimed fashion-designer at the time, and I think all girls are/was a part of his stable so to speak..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossie_Clark

The intro though, a Shiva-position and the Mayan art-exhibition suggests a mystic artist behind it.

As I've been ducking into the Amanda Lear story (Dali once concluded her his biggest piece of art*) the more fantastic it got. After vast searches I found two treasures on both Amanda Lear, and "Peki d'Oslo", her supposedly former name..

http://community.livejournal.com/vintag ... 43192.html

and a lovely and rich-featured blogspot hosted by two girls running a fashion-spot (Grashopper) in Philadelfia , Pennsylvania US.

Scroll down and find Bryan Ferry, Amanda Lear and thinks it's David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust period... ;-)

http://comespywithme.blogspot.com/2008_ ... chive.html

I'm collecting material to a maybe "Swinging London" website to hopefully pop up in the future. Mainly the Ossie Clark peak-era.

;)

This clip however, was a German detective-serie that went on in the sixties, and from one of the episodes. Maybe OC lent models for the take, certainly a mysterious encounter, from my perspectives.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 am 

Thanks for those links St.L, very interesting stuff!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:23 am 

For what it's worth, the song the girls are dancing to is On the Road Again by Canned Heat, released in 1968, so the timeline works.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 am 

EERO wrote:
For what it's worth, the song the girls are dancing to is On the Road Again by Canned Heat, released in 1968, so the timeline works.

:) Ach so!

Thank you for letting me know, the scene gets more brilliant the more I watch it, it should been pasted into a new movie, maybe a roadmovie or something..

Speaking of Lear, she played Salome in the Dino di Laurentis movie "The Bible" from 1966...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:49 pm 

I feel that it has the quality of some obsessive fan's idealised transvestite Warholesque transformation.... It's a bit like some of the scenes from the movie "Return to the valley of the dolls" The oddness comes partly from seeing these two very potent 2D "static " icons transformed into animated living speaking 3D television cameos... It's even more haunting and bewildering when you realise that they probably had not met Bryan Ferry at this time - also, that they both appear to be part of some modelling club and already know each other ! It's like catching filmed footage of The Mona lisa and Botticelli's Venus performing together in some street theatre before they'd met their artists or become famous !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am 

Gardner wrote:
I feel that it has the quality of some obsessive fan's idealised transvestite Warholesque transformation.... It's a bit like some of the scenes from the movie "Return to the valley of the dolls" The oddness comes partly from seeing these two very potent 2D "static " icons transformed into animated living speaking 3D television cameos... It's even more haunting and bewildering when you realise that they probably had not met Bryan Ferry at this time - also, that they both appear to be part of some modelling club and already know each other ! It's like catching filmed footage of The Mona lisa and Botticelli's Venus performing together in some street theatre before they'd met their artists or become famous !

What an inspireing post.. :)

Warhol was also on my mind. I frequently visit the site of Billy Name, the Warholian major photographer. In my personal opinion AL is one of the most interesting personas on the entertainment branch, if one likes is mystic and myths.

http://www.warholstars.org/

It's said that the "Patsy" figure played by Joanna Lumley in "Absolutely Fabulous" , originates from Amanda Lear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/

Here's a nice snapshot probably from early seventies, Bryan and Macca..

http://img2.pict.com/bb/50/8b/7015028d1 ... iue4cz.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 pm 

To St. Learrainne:

You appearently see common lines where i only see huge cultural differences. Me too am a great fan of the 60s, but i never confuse that, with what happened in the years 1972 or 1973. People where waiting in the wings and the scene shifted. The Eagles' success was only possible because the hippie movement lost their power. Sometimes I`m in a 70s mood. Then listening to early Roxy/ Ferry might be just fine. Another day I might be in a 60s mood. Then even a difficult movie like "Last Year At Marienbad" might be interesting. -But it surely has nothing to do with Ferry, Amanda Lear, or David Bowie...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:35 pm 

le freak wrote:
To St. Learrainne:

You appearently see common lines where i only see huge cultural differences. Me too am a great fan of the 60s, but i never confuse that, with what happened in the years 1972 or 1973. People where waiting in the wings and the scene shifted. The Eagles' success was only possible because the hippie movement lost their power. Sometimes I`m in a 70s mood. Then listening to early Roxy/ Ferry might be just fine. Another day I might be in a 60s mood. Then even a difficult movie like "Last Year At Marienbad" might be interesting. -But it surely has nothing to do with Ferry, Amanda Lear, or David Bowie...

Yes you certainley have point, and pardon for the digression if you think so.
My sole intention was probably to peep into the worlds that might have inspired the Roxy Music world, so I'm a historian, specialized in influential Pop-culture. Especially the Ossie Clark/Anthony Perkins era, their influences and influenced.

I also listen to bands like Muse (2009) or Nirvana (1990) or even Iggy Pop in the eighties (Soldier,Zombie Birdhouse..).

Why do you find so many cultural differences between the sixties and the seventies, I'm curious?
Personally I find bigger differncies in the eighties compared with both the sixties and the seventies, but thats me alrite..

:roll: