VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Roxy Mirror On E-bay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:14 am 

One has appeared starting at £300. Admittedly, it is an interesting item (not one of mine) however, the seller indicates that there were "re-production" Roxy mirrors made in the 80's. I doubt it but can anyone else confirm this?
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Roxy Mirror On E-bay
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 pm 

If it' like mine it's the For Your PLeasure cover picked out in mirror on black. Can't even remember if it says Roxy Music or not?????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm 

The picture's the same (the word "Roxy" appears, but not "Music") as all the mirrors I've seen, but the seller claims that the original ones were smaller (24 x 12 inches; like the FYP gatefold sleeve) than later copies (36 x 18 inches).

I don't know whether or not the seller's correct, but I think £300 is a bit optimistic, notwithstanding the apparently excellent condition of the item offered for auction.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 pm 

The £300 starting price is very optimistic indeed! The last one I saw on Ebay went unsold with a starting price of £77.

You might be surprised at how many different versions have been sold on Ebay over the past 9 years and I suspect only a tiny few will be the actual original promotional ones. The rest appear be genuine vintage mirrors from the mid 70's but I suspect someone somewhere was manufacturing them when pub mirrors were all the rage. I think pub mirrors were perhaps going out by the 1980's so not sure why there would be copies made then. Other fans who I have had conversations with about this topic have either bought theirs on Ebay or have owned them since new having purchased around the 1975-1977 period.

I started to keep a copy of the Ebay photographs and prices when I was looking to purchase a mirror myself after being outbid several times (a few years back when they were going for up to £350 at times!) I noticed that there were subtle differences in some of the mirrors being sold so studied them a bit more carefully and decided not to bid on ones which looked a bit "off". They may well date from the seventies and so would be genuine vintage mirrors but perhaps not the actual original promotional mirrors. I think many of the ones that turn up now have been reframed at some point so hard to compare.

Aspell Saggers & Co also made the small glass FYP ashtrays.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 pm 

Another one has appeared. This time kicking off at £100. It says there is a bit missing though. A Roxy Mirr it should say.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:38 pm 

Sadie's Boyfriend wrote:
Another one has appeared. This time kicking off at £100. It says there is a bit missing though. A Roxy Mirr it should say.

It went unsold with no bids and has been relisted at the same start price of £100.

The first one mentioned which had a start price of £300 also went unsold. It was relisted starting at £250 and again went unsold. It has now been relisted once again with the starting price dropped to £200.

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm 

Was interested to see Roxy's comment about the ash trays, as I'd never seen one advertised. That situation did not change until this week; there's one on eBay until the weekend and it's already reached £28...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160740938445? ... 1426.l2649

Interesting that the ashtray has the design in gold, rather than the silver favoured by the mirrors (both were used for the post-gig signed posters after different 2011 concerts, of course).

BTW, one lucky VRM member told me at one of the SB Empire gigs that she'd picked up a mirror for under a tenner at a car boot sale. Now that's what I call a bargain!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:29 pm 

Just in case anyone's interested, that ashtray raised £64 on eBay.

Even more bizarrely, a first pressing of FYP on LP (Rare Record Guide valuation around £10-£12, I think) went for £65; madness! :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:32 pm 

Members based in the north-east and Scotland might like to know that there's a FYP mirror requiring personal collection from Durham when it sells on eBay around 10 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday).

Current winning bid is a piffling £6.51, although that person may, of course, have bid much higher...

Not sure if the link below will work; if not just put Roxy Music mirror in the eBay search engine (simples!). Good luck if you bid...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130707459821? ... 1423.l2649

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm 

I got mine for £5 26 years ago