VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Idea for Roxy M tour!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 am 

R M should do what Simple Minds are doing:

5x5 Tour in 2012 where S Minds will play 5 tracks from each of their first 5 albums.

"This is the set that so many who appreciate Simple Minds have been begging us to play and finally this is that one-off chance to see it." Jim Kerr.

Should be:

"This is the set that so many who appreciate Roxy Music have been begging us to play and finally this is that one-off chance to see it." Brian Eno.

Post subject: Re: Idea for Roxy M tour!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 am 

My thoughts also when I saw the ad for this Simple Minds date.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm 

We would probably just get the usual suspects ! I can smell them already ! Remould ,Ladyboy, VPL ,Strand, Editions,Dream Home, Street Life, Motherfa, SongferU, BitterLemon, Outahere ,Thrills, Druggy, Burning Up, Dance this way, Yeah Baby, Heart,Tara, Ava and Morthanthat Which doesn't leave much time for anything else,assuming they do 20 - 25 songs.Although,to be fair, they did blow me away me with the songs performed in 2011 !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 pm 

Mr. Ferry sounded quite emphatic in an interview in the Ukraine the other week when asked if Roxy would be touring next year when he said no. It also has to be considered if they would be up for it if the icy relationship between themlast year is any thing to go by. I did notice listening to Ferry's gigs in the USA that he gave TGPT quite a mention.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:58 pm 

IanS wrote:
We would probably just get the usual suspects ! I can smell them already ! Remould ,Ladyboy, VPL ,Strand, Editions,Dream Home, Street Life, Motherfa, SongferU, BitterLemon, Outahere ,Thrills, Druggy, Burning Up, Dance this way, Yeah Baby, Heart,Tara, Ava and Morthanthat

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
IanS wrote:
We would probably just get the usual suspects ! I can smell them already ! Remould ,Ladyboy, VPL ,Strand, Editions,Dream Home, Street Life, Motherfa, SongferU, BitterLemon, Outahere ,Thrills, Druggy, Burning Up, Dance this way, Yeah Baby, Heart,Tara, Ava and Morthanthat

That is so funny!

If anyone in Bryan's camp reads stuff on here, please take note of Simple Minds reward to their loyal fans 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:54 am 

Unfortunately,the loyal fans don't generate that much money any more.So, they have to cater mainly for the casual fan and play the same big songs over and over and over. Which is fair enough. However, I think they should do one big song,followed by one obscure one to keep both sets of fans happy .This year's tour had a huge chunk in the middle which the casual fans didn't know.About 10 obscure - ish songs performed on the trot I think ! So, if they do tour again (which they wont !) and go radical and not boring they should do a set list along these lines. Open with a biggie like Remake/Remodel,follow up with Beauty Queen,Street Life, Sea Breezes,All I want is you,, Just Like You, Same Old Scene, If There is Something (?) More Than This(?) Prairie Rose,Virginia Plain, Sentimental Fool, Pyjamarama, Amazona, Oh Yeah, Chance Meeting and finish off with Dance Away, Avalon,Love is the Drug,Do the Strand and Jealous Guy. But,I'm happy if they do the same songs as earlier this year.Just break up the big chunk in the middle and get rid of Tara and My Only Lurve.!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 pm 

Putting aside the near certainty that we have seen the last of RM as a touring force, I like Roxyboy's suggestion.

I would suggest a slight variation on the 5 x 5 format and go for (6 x 4) + 2 i.e. 6 from each of the first 4 albums plus 2 from Siren. Let's face it, there are only around 30 essential (as opposed to just hugely enjoyable) tracks in the RM catalogue. We can disregard the "Manifleshalon" trilogy and the covers completely, plus a big chunk of Siren (which is really where the burn out started to show if we are being honest - and not after the guys re-formed), and the handful of below par tracks on the first 4 albums (we all know what they are !).

So, it just becomes a question of which 5 or so songs from the essential 30 get left out. That's where it gets hard !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 pm 

Ian S - I guess in hindsight they have to cater for everyone not just the loyal fans - good idea to alternate genre of songs as must admit the last tour setlist had the non die hard fans a bit stumped for a good while. Maybe they should do smaller venues then for the die-hards but I guess that wouldn't be financially viable for them :( I think the message has got through not to just flog the same old stuff all the time which is good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 pm 

Ive been to so many roxy concerts over the years, but was not able to make the last one :( due to imsurmountable geographic issues.

But, imho, the last tours set list was the best ever....and the next time around (&it wont happen, sadly), i hope they stay hard core. It was a very brave, valedictory gesture to all the fans.