VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Roxy Album
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:36 am 

I had read that Bryan was having a difficult time with the lyrics. Apparently all or most of the music is complete. But that would explain at least partially the Dylanesque sidetrack after the roxy sessions had already been in full swing.

All the original members would be nice for the dangerous and complex interaction that would hopefully result.

Roxy music could break this recent trend of reformed classic bands putting out rubbish, and actually release something that has some lasting power. I'm sure all the members realize that and are perhaps taking their time to ensure they "get it right"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 pm 

I have no doubt the album will happen but only when BF is happy to put it out and not before.

He will feel it is important to put out something worthy of Roxy and unfortunately with him that takes time but it will be of a quality that makes us all happy. There wouldnt be all this discussion if Phil hadnt mentioned it a couple of years ago and leaked the recording news out - which i am sure put pressure on BF and slowed the process down even more.

The publicity and the attention a new Roxy album will get will make it a success when it is put out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:25 pm 

What puzzles me with all the talk of it supposedly being a new BF solo album coming next, rather than the long-awaited Roxy Music 9, is that it was allegedly BF's writer's block that had stalled RM9 from being completed. Has the block been sufficiently unblocked for BF to complete an album containing new BF lyrics? Or is it a selection of tracks that have long been in the works a la "Frantic"? Or another set of covers? If only we knew........... :?

Wonder if Andy or Phil have ever put their hand to contributing lyrics to the Roxy mix or just music? And would BF agree to sing them?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:06 pm 

A Roxy Music album should definatly be written and recorded by the three members who created the orginal 8 "Roxy Music" albums.
Ferry/MaKay/Manzanera
I think having Paul Thompson is a bonus too, especially if they are to take the musical direction that delivered the 1st Roxy album. Although I would not like to hear them try to recapture that first phase of their career. That's done (brilliantly) and gone.
They (Bryan) will now always use other musicans in the studio and live to capture the complicated Avalon era songs. I have no problem with this.
It's not unusual for all of the BIG names in rock to take 2-4 years between albums/tours. Ferry only released Dylanesque last year and toured extensivley in smaller venues. So perhaps he doesn't feel he wants head out on the road again just yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:04 am 

Tryptich wrote:

"Ferry only released Dylanesque last year"

Ferry released Dylanesque in 2007. Time flies. Regarding Bryan`s voice, I find it odd that he at the age of 63, and with a vanishing voice, tries to drag out the Roxy release.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:14 pm 

new album :spring 2010
12 songs-around 50-60 minutes .No covers.All Bryan songs. except two Manzanera-Ferry.
classic Line-up with guess musicians.
And a farewell tour all around the world the same year.
Oscar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:37 am 

oscar wrote:

"new album :spring 2010
12 songs-around 50-60 minutes .No covers.All Bryan songs. except two Manzanera-Ferry.
classic Line-up with guess musicians.
And a farewell tour all around the world the same year."

I have to strongly react against this anticipation. I myself know that I can go over the line sometimes, and I sometimes whish there was a delete button. This is in fact nasty news, if it was true. Spring 2010 is too late. 50-60 minutes is too long for an album, and what about Ferry-Mackay songs? Too much time on your hands, dude!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm 

ferry, mackay, manzo, tgpt: essential. no tgpt and no mackay and it's just not the same. eno a great bonus
40-43 mins long (no trash 2 type versions included in the 43mins)
all ferry or ferry plus cohort penned
don't care when the songs were written. i like san simeon, and although half of that was dream home part 2, the song was fresh by the time it came out as ss. having said that i'd like some love war style angst coming through from ferry's current decade.
good chance it'll never be released, though one day the material may come to light. i hope the songs are finished off like the alphaville stuff, rather than just scat vocals.

oh, did i mention that i would like this to be a colin g free zone. great for atgb but look at what he helped turn alphaville into: frantic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am 

I agree Siren, Colin Good "blanded out" Roxy & Ferry's work both live and in the studio. But you are right, he did a great job on ATGB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:44 pm 

I too am sceptical to adult orientated blandness. "Great musicians" often mean session musicians. " I`ve got such a wonderful band".
-Yes, that what Bryan said of the Dylanesque release. -Yes, the playing was flawless. Only the slight "wha-wha" guitar on "The Times They are A-changing" could give a hint of late Roxy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next