VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trash Video, if you haven't seen it...then dig it now!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:48 pm 

I like Bogus Man more today than I did 37 years ago, but it still goes on too long IMHO. The point is made in about 5 minutes and then the riff is beat into the ground IMHO. If either Andy or Phil had provided a really great solo the whole track would have benefited enormously. Yes, the band with Eno and TGPT provide an intriguing groove, but the tune just drags out too long...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:02 pm 

Ian,

You stuck in a re-mix loop?

Didn't come down from soundcloud??

Which?

Both?

LOL! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 pm 

Yeah Man! I dig it brother !
Seriously,The Bogus Man just plods on and on and so does For Your Pleasure. Four Letter Love is just rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:51 pm 

Ian,

You stuck in a re-mix loop?

Needle stuck in the groove?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 am 

Cool baby ! Get on down ! Cosmic !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 am 

Has Austin Powers joined VRM? :)

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Owner

Manifesto was the first album I bought of anyone so that album has good memories for me.

I am not so keen on Dance Away and Angel Eyes but these songs do display that Roxy were as good if not better than anyone when doing 3-4 minute pop songs.

I think a lot of us would like My Little Girl and Cry Cry Cry if they only ever where b-sides and not given album track status.

I have always like 'Trash' and I think Manifesto and Stronger Through The Years are up there in the top 10 of Ferry's entire recorded output.

I think there are some fans who draw a line at certain point and think/say everything one side of the line is great and everything the other mainly post Bride Stripped Bare / pre Manifesto.

I think there is good and bad at every period and my personal taste feels that I like maybe 95% of first 4 Roxy albums and 75% of the last 4. I like 50% of the first 4 Ferry solo albums, 80% of the next 6 and maybe 40% of the last 3, just my personal taste. One thing I would say is that there is at least one 'gem' on every Ferry/Roxy album that it is worth having that album for.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 pm 

Wow! Haven't listened to 'The Bogus man' for years, suddenly remembered buying Viva Roxy Music album as a teenager and thinking this track was sooooo cool - it still is, RM were so ahead of their time weren't they. Although as a 19 year old I hated 'Is there something' back then and yet love it today. I don't think I listened to lyrics attentively back then and thought the track sounded like a jazzed up country western style song :lol:

I too, like Trash for the visuals. I only viewed it a few years ago and it felt quite upbeat, plus it made a bit of a change compared to their other vids. It was a tricky period for them to release a good record that fitted in with the times, alas it being a bit of non-starter for most of us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm 

J o'B has suggested that every Ferry/Roxy album has at least one gem and I think I'd take that further and say that the same is true of manzanera and Mackay's output.

We could vote on the number of "semi precious stones" on an album and perhaps rate, once and for all, which albums are fan favourites?

To get the ball rolling I'm going to suggest that Stranded has 7 gems on it.

Oliver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 pm 

Stranded is a good album, but Sunset and Psalm have always struck me as slow, long, and boring. One of them on the album would have been enough for me. The rest are all good however!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next