VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Avalon" track used for H&M advert
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 pm 

For the "Marni at H&M" range due in March.

Directed by Sofia Coppola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wK-CgE8 ... r_embedded

8-)

Post subject: Re: "Avalon" track used for H&M advert
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 am 

Not a bad commercial (as we call it it the States) but I can't say that I'm a part of the target audience for such a pitch!

So given that this is a commercial I don't feel so bad asking some very commercial questions. First, what does Sofia Coppola receive as financial compensation for such a project. Just wondering. And more to the point for Roxy fans, how much do BF, PM, and AM receive for licensing Avalon for the ad? Although BF wrote the song, it is not a solo track from his catalog. It is official/legally a Roxy Track and that would affect who gets compensated for its commercial use. Maybe I'm just being nosy but I am interested in getting a sense of how lucrative such "product placement" is for artists.

Also, the Sofia/Roxy connection is interesting because of the way that her one truly major movie - Lost in Translation - used More Than This as a romantic centerpiece of the film with Bill Murray croaking out a cover/karaoke version to a smitten Scarlett J. Sigh. Doomed love is soooooo romantic...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 pm 

I'm afriad I don't know how the finances work out for a project like this. I will be good timing though as the H & M range is due out in March so it will put a Roxy Music track out there in the run up to the RM Complete Recordings Collection being released on April 2nd.

I imagine that Coppela suggested the track for the advert. I recall reading an interview where it was mentioned that originally the song Murray was to perfrom was the Elvis Costello track, "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding" until Murray and Sofia found out that they shared a love of Avalon so "More Than This" was the track used.

She also used Bryan Ferry's version of "Smoke gets in Your Eyes" in the 2010 movie "Somewhere".

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 pm 

Bryan peforms at the launch party in Hollywood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2RgsoIpU88

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:40 pm 

The Corporate Appearance Tour keeps kicking along in high gear!

Boy, from London to LA is along way to go to sing/stage one tune. I'm always amazed by the amount of money spent to promote fashion. Think of the millions spent by H&M to promote their Marni collection. A big time video-shoot in Morrocco, big time stars in Hollywood drawn by who-knows-what-size "appearance fees." And just consider what it cost to fly BF and his corporate show band/entourage in from London. Good work if you can get it!

It's interesting that Drew Barrymore gets rather prominent treatment in the promo video of the LA Gala. According to the blog at emilysdrums.com DB was also at the private gig BF did in the Caribbean back in late December. Maybe the Caribbean gig also had something to do with H&M/Marni.

Gosh, I keep checking my email to see if I'm on the guest list for The Corporate Tour, but somehow they must have lost my e-address. Darn. Maybe next time...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

Whoops. Make that emilydrums.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm 

Quote:
The Corporate Appearance Tour keeps kicking along in high gear!

Boy, from London to LA is along way to go to sing/stage one tune.

He's' probably INCORPORATED a holiday with the performance appearance. 'Got to make hay whilst the sun shines' I guess, concerning promo performance :) Huge expenditure for H&M as you say though!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 pm 

Sorry to be pedantic or picky but isn't avalon a roxy track ? not a Ferry solo so shouldn't messr's Mackay and Manzanera have been there earning a few bob ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm 

wrighta:
You make a good point, Avalon is indeed a Roxy track and presumably some of the licensing fee would accrue to PM and AM. BF is the sole songwriter for the tune so that works to his advantage; but he can't exclusively control the licensing fee the way he could for, say, Slave to Love. The business/financial relationship between BF and Roxy is a bit tricky and no doubt has been the source of more than a few "discussions" between BF and his partners Phil and Andy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 pm 

bf setlist LA...

tom thumb's blues
slave to love
don't stop the dance
more than this
love is the drug
hold on i'm coming
avalon

...not bad...