VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Davy Jones.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 am 

Probably the wrong column. Beside myself at the death of davy jones. They were a fun band, that I grew up with, and got me into Roxy because after the first two Roxy albums, I saw Roxy also, as a fun band. I will call my Jean today. Cheer up sleepy Jean, I would sing to her, a.m. as I always did, but poorly. Get the Monkees on you tube. He was 66 years of age. Someone else, close to my heart, is of a similar age, if not identical. Give him a break.

By the way, that's me away from outside of Saint Paul's. The powers that be seem happy with the way we left it.

I got 68 proposals, yesterday, on the 29th. 66 insurance, and 2 indecent.

Viva Roxy Music! x.

Post subject: Re: Davy Jones.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am 

Yes, sad news indeed. I grew up listening to the Monkees being played around the house as a tot, and their songs were (and still are) being played in the indie clubs in and around town. Maybe that little bit more this weekend... :(

Post subject: Re: Davy Jones and Boyce & Hart
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm 

Davy Jones always had a disarming charm about him. May he RIP.

Any discussion involving the Monkees as a musical endeavor must put the talents of the song-writing team Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart front and center. The Monkees live on as a cultural entity because the songs still resonate across the generations...

Below is a link to a great website on Boyce & Hart. Skip down to Chap 5 to get the Monkees' story, but the intro chapters are just as interesting in terms of American Pop Music History of the 60s.

http://www.forgottenhits.com/the_music_ ... bobby_hart

For a connection to the Brit Pop Era of early Roxy, check out this TOPT performance of I'm a Believer by Robert Wyatt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FmG4JT ... re=related

Post subject: Re: Davy Jones. & Neil Diamond...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm 

Just to be clear, I'm a Believer was written by Neil Diamond (!) while the flip side I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone was written by Boyce & Hart.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:04 am 

I got 68 proposals, yesterday, on the 29th. 66 insurance, and 2 indecent.

Congratulations on the 2 indecent ones; I hope you at least seriously considered them! ;)

As for The Monkees, I've only sung karaoke once in my 51 years and will perhaps not add to that total, so Daydream Believer will always have that dubious honour! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 am 

You have brought back great fantastic memories. The only time I ever did karaoke was in Falaraki. Elton, I guess that's why they call it the blues.

What about Empledick? A song for europe indeed!

I did mutter a while back about Mr. Ferry doing " An Audience With". As in, Dame Edna, Sir Cliff, Billy Connolly, The Pope. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Need to catch Simple Minds soon. A great band, and Jim is my Mucker. We'll get back stage for that, nae bother. Not that we have ever made it back stage before, you must understand.

Got a stack of work goin' out over the weekend, special needs people as well, love them. A wee fresh cream apple turnover shall compliment their lunch. So, have to be totally on the ball. "Darkness Falls,". I'm off to play it. Paul at his best. That's my Serenade. Perhaps the whole band at there best?

Cheers everyone. Cuddle in.