A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Your Favourite Ever Roxy Line up
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:02 pm 

RoxySiren wrote:
DCJ wrote:
Windswept:
I am glad you liked the ATGB tour band, but clearly you need to reconfigure your med doses. Something is not right. Please do not operate heavy machinery. Please seek help soon.

:lol:

Dear DCJ & Roxysiren,
I had a feeling that coming out of the closet and naming the ATGB tour band as the best ever Roxy line up would have you purists questioning my sanity and threatening me with men in white coats.
I would however like you to know that with the exception of my 'Barnet' turning an inexplicable shocking white colour, I remain relatively intact and my only serious medication is from the good doctor 'Talisker' in fact, I can still do it on the tables - Quaglino's place or Mabel's!
All of that said, I had to come out because I've always regarded Roxy as Ferry's band and as such, the ATGB line up playing Roxy songs fall into the same category and they were truly amazing.
I just wish he'd get them back together.
Regards, Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm 

Windswept:
If you want to pine for the return of the ATGB Tour Band, then who am I to call your sanity into question? They certainly weren't a bad ensemble, but I'm just not a fan of the ATGB album so I find it hard to get excited about them. But if you like them, then more power to you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Owner

I loved the ATGB band and they were superb at the 30's stuff. I don't think the drummer or guitarist worked on the Roxy stuff. they were too 'clynical; in their playing I thought.

Some of the Roxy/Ferry originals worked really well with thta band; Chance Meeting, Sunset & The Only Face being the stand outs. I would have loved to have heard the ATGB doing some of the Roxy/Ferry stuff in a 30's style now that would have been interesting.

My favourite live Roxy band would be 1974 and 2001. 1974 had the perfect balance of a full sound without cluttering everything and the band were really tight. I haven't heard too much Stranded tour shows to make comment on but the first 2 tours with Eno are good in their own way but rough around the edges at times (part of their charm though). 1975 for me sounds a bit thin and would have benifited by either a 2nd keyboard player or 2nd guitarist in place of the backing singers. 1979 is a good band too it has to be said. I felt the Avalon tour band were a bit too caberet for my liking. 2001 Had loads of musicians on stage but it never sounded like that. You got the full impact of what was on the records but completely live.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:05 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
My favourite live Roxy band would be 1974 and 2001. 1974 had the perfect balance of a full sound without cluttering everything and the band were really tight. J.O'B.

So true JOB. Roxy were at their peak in '74 and Ferry's voice was also at its zenith - listen to Newcastle City Hall live in Oct. '74 and bow at the majesty that was Roxy. MOP is the highlight and Roxy rivalled any live band in that year including The Stones and E-Street Band. Roxy Rule, OK?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:57 pm 

I liked the ATGB versions of the Roxy songs, particularly on Chance Meeting and Sunset.
However, I won't labour the point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:39 pm 

Well said JO'B. The Country Life Tour band with Wetton was the best but without Wetton the Siren Tour Band lost something and the backup singers were not a plus. The 2001 Tour Band was very good and I think there are many great tracks on the Live Album from the 2001 tour.

Hard to believe that the 2001 Tour is now more than a decade in the rear view mirror. Sigh. As time goes by indeed...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Owner

To choose my fantasy Roxy line up from those who have played with the band (alive or dead) my band would be:

Bryan, Phil, Andy Mackay and Paul of course, augmented by:

Alan Spenner Bass
Chris Spedding 2nd guitar
Eddie Jobson Keyboards
Lucy Wilkins Violin (I think there is room for both her and EJ on stage as they both do keyboards.
Julia Thornton Percussion but use her harp too (Angel Eyes, Spin Me Round)
Yanick Ettiene and Edna Holt backing vocals.
Brian Eno synthesizer.

Oh I forgot, as this is a fantasy band............ my good self on triangle.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm 

This thread is best ever Roxy line up. The ATGB tour was a Ferry solo tour so they cannot be anyone's favourite Roxy line up. For me 1974. Maybe cos it was my first and the live recordings from that tour are imho Roxy's best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:15 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMBeqNfYEYY

Case closed, M'Lud.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 am 

There has been many good line ups over the years but what about the worst?
For me, the Manifesto tour line up gets my vote for the worst and the line up when Paul left when Micheal Dawe sat in for a short while a close second worst. I thought the sound was very "thin" on the Manifesto tour and seemed to lack musicians. When Paul left the Roxy sound went with him to some degree hence the next tour nothing sounded right.