VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pyjarmarama
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 am 

Hello
Does anyone remember Roxy Music doing Pyjamarama on Top of the Pops in 1973, not sure if I was dreaming or not at the time.
If they did, is there any visual record of it, and what recollections do you have?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pyjarmarama
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 pm 

Based upon various posts made over the past several years, I believe that the TOPT's Pyjamarama performance was "wiped" (or erased) by the BBC and for many years considered to be a "lost" video. But I recall that some time in the last year or so posters have indicated that a version of the video has been "found." I don't know if it is true that a surviving copy was located, but claims to that effect were made. Likely JO'B can set us straight on this...

The MusicLaden performance of Pyjamarama on youtube is a good one, but it is from early 74 and doesn't have Eno. (EJ is only visible at the very end of the clip when you can see him in the background)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:44 pm 

The version on Viva is the best Roxy track ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 pm 

I'm pretty certain that the top of the pops performances of pyjamarama and streetlife have resurfaced.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 am 

Looking at the set, musicians, etc I would say this is an image of Pyjamarama from TOTP, taken from a 90's Italian boot:

Attachments:
File comment: Roxy Music-TOTP 1973
Roxy Music (65).jpg
Roxy Music (65).jpg [ 239.46 KiB | Viewed 10145 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:39 pm 

wrighta wrote:
I'm pretty certain that the top of the pops performances of pyjamarama and streetlife have resurfaced.

...but where? Street life totp in particular represents one of my major childhood music awakenings. I remember thinking about that really cool sound and look for days afterwards.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:09 pm 

I'm pretty sure it came up on avalon a while back and it's the same guy who had the Bowie clip. I remember the streetlife performance on totp for the Ferry stare at the finger click piece after the middle eight, the same stare that he used for dream home on old grey whistle test.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:23 pm 

I have been chatting to a friend who is clued up on this sort of thing and has told me that "Street Life" has been found and should finally be getting shown at Kaleidoscope in Stourbridge this June. I think they are a television organisation that hold events, but no doubt we will all get to see it on this world wide web.

I'm not sure if its the same fella who found the rare Bowie clip (forgot to ask him that) but he has told me that the chap who did find the rare Bowie clip has passed on about 500 tapes to Kaleidoscope and they are digitising them, but so far there have been no findings of "Pyjamarama" from 1973 on TOTP. He will let me know if it does raise its pretty head.

We can only live in hope.

8-)