VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Graham Simpson. (R,I,P.)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm 

That is sad news. I know many people from within the Roxy family, that will hit on.

R.I.P.

Post subject: Re: Graham Simpson. (R,I,P.)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am 
Site Owner

Just heard the sad news that Roxy Music's original bass player Graham Simpson has died. I had the pleasure of meeting Graham on 2 occasions, one of them being as recent as 24th February this year. The first time was 2 years ago when I interviewed him about his days with Roxy, living with Bryan Ferry in Newcastle and playing in The Gas Board with Bryan and also the 'missing' years after leaving Roxy. This interview has still not been published and with this sad news I feel compelled to write this up from the recordings and get Graham's amazing story told.

On my recent meeting I played him some recordings he made with Roxy in 1971 that he had never heard and showed him some photos of him with Ferry/Mackay/Eno/Dexter Lloyd that he had never seen before and it feels so poignant now that that happened. I took 2 photos of him just 8 weeks ago. He was holding a copy of the Roxy Debut CD and smiling. These are possibly the last photos taken of Graham. The man was a gentle kind hearted man a real Gentle Man. I intend to write some more on www.VivaRoxyMusic.com on Friday

J.O'B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:18 am 

Very sad news indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 am 

Aww, sorry to hear this news....One of the Roxy originals.

Guess which album I will be giving a spin later as a mark of respect?

God Bless. x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
Just heard the sad news that Roxy Music's original bass player Graham Simpson has died. I had the pleasure of meeting Graham on 2 occasions, one of them being as recent as 24th February this year. The first time was 2 years ago when I interviewed him about his days with Roxy, living with Bryan Ferry in Newcastle and playing in The Gas Board with Bryan and also the 'missing' years after leaving Roxy. This interview has still not been published and with this sad news I feel compelled to write this up from the recordings and get Graham's amazing story told.

On my recent meeting I played him some recordings he made with Roxy in 1971 that he had never heard and showed him some photos of him with Ferry/Mackay/Eno/Dexter Lloyd that he had never seen before and it feels so poignant now that that happened. I took 2 photos of him just 8 weeks ago. He was holding a copy of the Roxy Debut CD and smiling. These are possibly the last photos taken of Graham. The man was a gentle kind hearted man a real Gentle Man. I intend to write some more on http://www.VivaRoxyMusic.com on Friday

J.O'B

Wow what a story. Thanks for sharing it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 am 

R.I.P. Graham. JOB looking forward to the interview you had, thanks for your respectful words I am sure it will be a great tribute.
As a Roxy fan I am grateful for his contribution to the first fantastic album.
My thoughts are with the family and friends of Graham.
May he rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am 

Always dreaded the day, and hour, that we would lose someone from within. With great respect to the people we lost from the Manifesto/ F&B albums and era, Mick Green and the American guitarist, I think Graeme would be the first from the original, embryonic Roxy Music to have left us.

Anyway, our music will see us through. No point in praying for him, God has already got him. He's in safe hands.

Viva Roxy Music.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:47 pm 

Very sad news.
By the time I saw Roxy, Graham he'd already left the group but I remember him well from a Newcastle University outfit called 'The Gas Board'.
I saw him gig on a couple of occasions. If my memory serves me well I saw him at Newcastle's Club agogo (a bit of a hot house - to say the least) and at the much more refined Kirk Levington Country Club.
'The Gas Board' were a good seven piece soul band but, there was quite a lot of confusion at the time between them and another good band that hailed from Sunderland called 'The Jazz Board'.The whole thing wasn't helped by the fact that everybody used to play the same venues.
Anyway, they were great days and I hope Graham didn't suffer and that he R.I.P.
God be with him and my thoughts are with all those that loved him.
Regards, Windswept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:23 pm 

Windswept2,

As you didn't mention the young BF, I assume that he wasn't singing with the band when you saw/heard Graham Simpson in action?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:43 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Very sad news.
By the time I saw Roxy, Graham he'd already left the group but I remember him well from a Newcastle University outfit called 'The Gas Board'.
I saw him gig on a couple of occasions. If my memory serves me well I saw him at Newcastle's Club agogo (a bit of a hot house - to say the least) and at the much more refined Kirk Levington Country Club.
'The Gas Board' were a good seven piece soul band but, there was quite a lot of confusion at the time between them and another good band that hailed from Sunderland called 'The Jazz Board'.The whole thing wasn't helped by the fact that everybody used to play the same venues.
Anyway, they were great days and I hope Graham didn't suffer and that he R.I.P.
God be with him and my thoughts are with all those that loved him.
Regards, Windswept

Kirk Levington Country Club. I had my eighteenth there!