VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phil manzanera in spanish magazine This is Rock
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:12 pm 

This month "This is rock"the spanish rock magazine, issues an 8 pages interview with Phil Manzanera.He talks about the beginings of Roxy and offers very interesting point of view about things.He says for example that "more than this"is a boring song he dislikes , even B.Ferry did not wanted to play live the song .He also says that the band has recorded all the last year 2011 gigs (UK an Australia) and he is concerned that these recordings will be released in the future.He adds that is very difficult that they do a new record, even no plans for new gigs.
http://www.thisisrock.net/

Post subject: Re: Phil manzanera in spanish magazine This is Rock
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm 

"More Than This" is not a boring song, but it doesn`t function live.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 pm 

Can anyone translate the whole of this for us???

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:07 pm 

le freak wrote:
"More Than This" is not a boring song, but it doesn`t function live.

I thought is/was good on 2001 live. Paul's sequence around 2.31 fits so well. Apparently, Bry's vocal was put on after but I don't know if that's true?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:48 am 

I like MTT but the last time a heard it (on the radio a couple of weeks ago) I found that the instrumental section at the end was a bit bland (not exactly boring) and I thought the PM could have played a more engaging solo...

On the 2001 Tour they only played MTT at the gigs in Japan (five in total if I recall correctly, all in early September) and the one included in the live album is pretty good -and it is featured as the first track on the second cd.

I'd be interested in reading a translation of the article, but it sounds as though PM is a bit frustrated that an album from the 2011 Tour has not been forthcoming. It sounds like BF is the roadblock, or at least the reason things are moving at a glacial pace.

I'm afraid that BF's business model revolves almost entirely around private gigs and private endorsement deals with corporations and fashion houses. He plays enough public concerts to keep his name current as a musical act, but he only cares about this in terms of keeping his cachet as a private gig commodity in good standing.

Maybe something will happen with Roxy down the road, but the years roll by and the likelihood fades...

Why do I care anymore...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:22 pm 

DCJ wrote:

I'm afraid that BF's business model revolves almost entirely around private gigs and private endorsement deals with corporations and fashion houses. He plays enough public concerts to keep his name current as a musical act, but he only cares about this in terms of keeping his cachet as a private gig commodity in good standing.

Maybe something will happen with Roxy down the road, but the years roll by and the likelihood fades...

Why do I care anymore...

I agree on all counts. The reason I regret this gradual slide into nothing, is because I felt that there was potential to create one last great album. Likelihood is zero though. But I really was impressed by the alphaville sessions, which showed what Bryan could do with a good collaborator (Dave Stewart of course) - contrasted with the damage that colin good did later on with much of the same material. The few snippets I heard of roxy in the studio were very interesting , and tgpt, am,pm, e and chris thomas....what a team. But, it's all over now...