VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Complete studio recordings 1972-1982
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm 

whirlwind wrote:
Though I am worried about the remastering; if it is the flat transfer which is said to be inferior to the Bob Ludwig remasters then it won't be worth buying. :?

I don't think it is inferior, I like it much better.

I would like to know who mastered it though.

My review is here:

http://www.taggedtalk.com/blog/2012-08- ... dings.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm 

onlyconnect wrote:
whirlwind wrote:
Though I am worried about the remastering; if it is the flat transfer which is said to be inferior to the Bob Ludwig remasters then it won't be worth buying. :?

I don't think it is inferior, I like it much better.

I would like to know who mastered it though.

My review is here:

http://www.taggedtalk.com/blog/2012-08- ... dings.html

Dear Onlyconnect,
Bravo on your excellent review.
You have explained this technological transfer mumbo jumbo in a way that dinosaurs like myself can actually understand and your point regarding the artwork is well made. Really, I'm a little surprised that an aesthetician like Ferry would allow that to be put out.
All of that said, I have a question regarding the "Box Set".
I play my CD's by downloading them via iTunes and streaming them to a B&O BeoSound 5 Encore which theoretically, with it's "lossless" playback technology, ensures that music is played without compression. Given this scenario, will I notice a sound improvement versus the previous re-mastered editions?
Regards, Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:10 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
All of that said, I have a question regarding the "Box Set".
I play my CD's by downloading them via iTunes and streaming them to a B&O BeoSound 5 Encore which theoretically, with it's "lossless" playback technology, ensures that music is played without compression. Given this scenario, will I notice a sound improvement versus the previous re-mastered editions?
Regards, Windswept

Hi Windswept

Whether or not your playback is "lossless" depends on how you rip them to iTunes. For true lossless you need to rip in ALAC (Apple lossless audio codec). MP4 rips will be lossy, though you may well not hear the difference.

The word compression has (at least) two distinct meanings in audio. "Lossy compression" refers to how the audio signal is encoded to a file. It is compressed because it takes less space than it otherwise would, at the expense of some loss of musical information. The best lossy compressed formats still sound very good though. "Lossless compression" in formats like ALAC and FLAC reduces the space needed somewhat, but preserves all the musical information, hence lossless.

In mastering, the word means something different. Compression boosts the quiet sounds in the recording, and may be used in conjunction with clipping which truncates the loudest sounds. The result is that the overall volume varies less during playback, at the expense of dynamic range. Most recorded music is somewhat compressed, but some CDs are mastered with extreme compression so that they sound as loud as possible - Google for "loudness wars" for some discussion of this.

This type of compression cannot be removed by your playback chain, no matter how good it is.

Tim

PS the short answer to your question is that yes you should hear a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:13 pm 

Eddieg & India are correct in stating that the set does not include anything entirely new, but a chunk of the bonus material (discs 9 & 10) is new to CD.

J.O'B has posted extensively elsewhere about the differences between these versions and the more commonly available ones; perhaps his patience can be prevailed upon again if anyone needs to refresh their memories...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:37 pm 

Onlyconnect - Great review-It has reassured me on getting the deluxe editions.

Apart from Manifesto :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:02 pm 

whirlwind wrote:
Onlyconnect - Great review-It has reassured me on getting the deluxe editions.

Apart from Manifesto :mrgreen:

Manifesto sound a little dull to you? It is certainly less bright than other editions.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:40 pm 

Manifesto sound a little dull to you? It is certainly less bright than other editions.

Tim

Just never liked Manifesto - it's the only one - even though many people prefer it to Avalon and F&B.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 pm 

Not had a chance to hear all the albums yet, though the first album sounds quieter than the 1999 remaster's it does sound better. Speaking as someone who has to have all the different versions, mixes whatever that Roxy released, the singles, b sides and alternate mixes cd's are a must have and correct a few, for want of a better word cock up's of the thrill of it all set. Not having a turntable to hear the original mix of to turn you on after 20 years or so was an absolute joy and the various subtle differences in more than this, avalon and the main thing, the single version of both ends burning are a delight.
The omission of the inner lyric sleeves for country life, manifesto, flesh and blood and avalon is disapointing , don't know if this is to somehow keep the cost of the overall package down but it is a letdown.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm 

wrighta wrote:
The omission of the inner lyric sleeves for country life, manifesto, flesh and blood and avalon is disapointing , don't know if this is to somehow keep the cost of the overall package down but it is a letdown.

I'd have thought the extra cost of reproducing the inner sleeves, given that they do have inner sleeves in the box, would have been negligible. Looks like a design decision to me.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:44 am 

Despite my earlier gripes about the packaging (borne merely from the fact I have the 'original' box set for albums 1-7 and would have preferred something entirely new), I love this box. There is always something to enjoy in the Roxy / Ferry output however many times it is repackaged and re-issued (well up to a point boys) and this is no exception. The heavyweight, highly glossed sleeves demand carefull handling because you want them to feel that pristine forever and the alternative artwork included for albums 4 to 8 is a bonus, if not entirely unseen. I agree the omission of the original lyrics inserts for those albums originally released with lyrics is something of a shortcoming but then I guess these aren't purporting to be reproductions in the way the 99 re-masters were. And the sound? Well it sounds just fine to me and that's all you can ever say really isn't it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next