VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: TCRM 72-82 Japan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Owner

The Japanese version has a booklet. It contains the lyrics in Japanese and English and some credits too. and and what looks like a biography in Japanese.

The booklet is not within the box as the box looks like it is the UK version. The booklet is outside the box within the shrink warapping.

J.O'B.

Attachments:
TCRM JAPANs.jpg
TCRM JAPANs.jpg [ 115.72 KiB | Viewed 14727 times ]

Post subject: Re: Complete studio recordings 1972-1982
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 pm 

In the latest listings of the British "Official Charts Company" Roxy Complete does not appear in the top 100 albums, but it does come in at #37 on the "Record Store Albums" chart.

http://www.officialcharts.com/record-st ... ums-chart/

Hard to say how that translates into sales numbers, but apparently the boxset made some impact with those people/dinosaurs who still like to go to a record store and buy something tangible, as opposed to modern folk who only download digital files.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 pm 

Interesting. It looks as though Amazon have also been shifting some copies of the box set. It peaked at around number 60 (all music) just over a week ago, and they are now showing only 9 left in stock.

There's a great review of the box set just published in Pitchfork (scores 9.5/10): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/168 ... 1972-1982/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:53 pm 

There's a great review of the box set just published in Pitchfork (scores 9.5/10): http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/168 ... 1972-1982/[/quote]

Dear India,
Thanks for posting this excellent review - Tom Ewing certainly captures and nails the Roxy saga like no other pundit has in a very long time!
Anyway,after some excellent technical advice from "onlyconnect" and without Mrs.Windswept's knowledge, I made a further investment in the Roxy canon and parted with my hard earned cash and although this is now the fourth time I've bought these particular albums (somebody in this band owes me a drink),the sound is better and that in itself makes it worth while.
That said, I think the "extras" are a shade disappointing and having recently visited "The Rolling Stones" excellent exhibition at Somerset House and bought their beautiful photographic autobiography, I can't help but think that this would have been a better way to celebrate "40 Years Of Roxy."
After all,no band or individual has made a greater contribution to rock art than Roxy Music/Ferry and when I think of the whole visual legacy from the first album thru' to those sumptuous visuals that formed the backdrop to both Roxy's "Four Your Pleasure" tour and the"Olympia" gigs, it leaves me feeling that their art is under represented and, if they are thinking of doing anything about it, they could do a lot worse than getting Tom Ewing to write the script.
Regards, Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 pm 

The Pitchfork review is OK, but take note that he makes no mention of TGPT. Really? How can that be? How much can this guy truly understand about the Classic Roxy Sound if he ignores the meaning and contribution of TGPT?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:53 pm 

I didn't like the part where the author says 'Just Another High'
was part of Roxy's saga of long waits between albums. For me,
I thought it was a song that Bryan wrote about losing & missing someone. That's just his opinion, unless he knows something I don't.

I'm going to write to Tom and let him know that just because he said that, it doesn't mean it's true. The sky isn't blue people, it's yellow! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:25 pm 

So I am sitting here with all of the first 8 albums on vinyl - original releases - the first 1984 CD releases, and the 1999 remastered releases wondering if it is really worth it forking out the cash for a few 'B' side tracks, most of which I already have on the original singles.

What do you think? I am a big Roxy fan, but is there real inherent value in this box set that is worth coughing up for?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm 

cuillin,

cull your collection

turn someone on to RM

if you can't let go, buy the collection for Bryan's retirement, new suits, shoes, shirts, ties, cologne, socks...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm 

Bryan is doing just fine.

Having had the pleasure of running in to Paul Thompson a couple of times at Yo! Sushi in Newcastle I have no problem contributing to the pension fund of those without whom Roxy would not have been Roxy, but often don't get the appropriate acclaim and recognition.

As for turning others on to Roxy, I have been doing that since 1972 my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm 

great! roxy on!

buy it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next