VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cultural/emotional resonance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:43 pm 

I confess that I feel slightly sad asking this, but how are others coping as their heroes stop doing anything?
I was brought up on Rodgers and Hammerstein, with a sprinkling of Gilbert and Sullivan’s (very different I know). Then pop, passionate T.Rex until supplanted by the mighty Roxy.
Lots of marvellous telly but there seems to be something missing.

Post subject: Re: Cultural/emotional resonance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:47 pm 

Sorry for punctuation errors. Bloody autocorrect.
I fear that it’s hard to find a comparable emotional heft in entertainment once you’re older.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:46 am 

Quote:
I fear that it’s hard to find a comparable emotional heft in entertainment once you’re older

The music that moved me as a young man still does and some new music/artists can do too, but I guess the things we get passionate about in our youth evolve with age and music is no exception.

Other forms of entertainment - there is such qualityTV and film to enjoy now, for example - can assail my senses and emotions with much greater frequency these days, perhaps because they resonate with the lifetime of experiences I have now accumulated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 pm 

I never watch pay-TV (Netflix), always sticking to our state channel. There are some good series there too. -Nice option as cinema only shows quality movies at "grandparents hours". Who goes to the movies as early as 6 o`clock in the afternoon?

When it comes to music there are a lot of old easy listening to choose from. Nice listening when having a drink. If you are lucky you can come across some relaxing "continental" Morricone soundtracks on vinyl. This 1969 release is hard to get: "Metti Una Sera A Cena (VINYL). Ennio Morricone". -Not sure how good it is, though.