VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A peculiar 30 minutes film from NW London, 1968.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:29 pm 

It is said to have become available on the net as late as August last year. It`s total whimsy. I was prepared for big feelings because of the great Engelbert Humperdinck title song "Le Bicyclettes de Belsize", plus it seemed to be made as an English "answer" to the French 1964 movie "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg".
I was prepared for a man and a woman cycling together in a rural landscape each on their own old-fashioned bike, but this was not to be.

Sure the vibe of the film was soon to disappear. These were pre-Roxy times. Yet much of the elements seem modern compared to the traditional setting. A bike with small wheels and probably to be divided in two for transport was definetely something new of the day, and not very romantic. -And that space age shop front whith rounded window corners where the two meet for a brief moment.

The film seems to focus on "love". The society had just come out of the 50s, and such a theme was maybe a bit exotic, enough to base a movie on. Ah, the mod style guy! Yellow shirt! Which men wear yellow shirts today? -A face like a Roman emperor! The film begins with a study of roofscapes of the area. -Many nice building details. You Brits have a way with brick! -And the slate roofs! -And all the nice chimneys! It sure is (was?) a part of London with a lot of greenery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqCT6IQH38

Post subject: Re: A peculiar 30 minutes film from NW London, 1968.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:54 pm 

I saw this film a few years ago on the nostalgic UK tv channel "Talking Pictures."

It's very charming and whimsical, as le freak says, I thoroughly recommend it; you can imagine the 1968 David Bowie playing the lead role in between Fab ice lolly adverts and bit parts in the Virgin Soldiers.

Nice post le freak.