VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EG Records and Management
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:54 pm 

Many VRM posters aren't so interested in the "music business" but for those you are, Robert Fripp's postings regarding the collapse and sale of EG Records and EG Management are quite entertaining and engaging.

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?entry=22011

Fripp is not exactly succinct in his impassioned ranting about the perfidy of EG's leadership, but if you keep digging he has some interesting things to say that are relevance to BF (who was a long time EG artist) and his recent deal with BMG management. Here's an excerpt from a Fripp dairy entry dated Oct 30, 1999:

"When the dispute began I had little information about my own affairs, let alone EG / Messrs. Alder & Fenwick's body of operations. "What have we done? We have nothing to hide" was the last comment Mr. Alder made to me, face to face, in my final meeting at 63a, Kings Road, with Mr. Fenwick & himself (April 1991). This is an unusual comment from someone who has nothing to hide to someone who wasn't suggesting they were hiding something.

Messrs. Alder & Fenwick made high claims for themselves in terms of their "renown for probity and sound business practices" in an industry known for its dishonesty and exploitation towards artists. My only weapon as a small, lonely aspirant musician facing the EG organisation & employees was to access information and make it available to others. From the standpoint of Messrs. Alder & Fenwick, knowing what they knew of their activities, this was not information which could be allowed to become public knowledge. But gradually, I acquired a large body of information on their affairs. By 1994, I knew what they had done, & why and how they'd done it.

For the first two years of the dispute, regrettably neither Virgin nor BMG took me seriously. It was only when my High Court writ was served (1993) that both these parties were prepared to respond to me, although both of them had been aware of the issues before their acquisitions of the EG record & publishing catalogues. I presented myself as acting on behalf of all the KC artists, although I was the only party named in the High Court writ and the only person paying the legal fees. Ken Berry, power-possessor at Virgin, has my respect. BMG Publishing I view as artist-unfriendly and I hold them in contempt.

The terms of the out-of-court settlement with Virgin significantly increased the royalty rates to all the artists.
The terms of the out-of-court settlement with BMG Publishing increased my royalty rates.
Copyrights for both records & music were invested in RF as an individual, although bound by exclusive licences for the durations of the copyrights."

If you are not interested in Roxy/BF business issues, then don't bother reading Fripp's rambling commentary. But others will find this to be rather intriguing.