VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hamburgers and Chinese.... (Short Introduction)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:12 pm 

Hello to all of you fellow worshippers of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music,

I just wish to shortly introduce myself to you. I'm 46, female, live in Hamburg and am a fan since the RockPop in Concert show was broadcasted on January 3rd 1981. I've recorded that show on tape - we didn't have a video recorder back then - and I've played this tape about a billion times. Subsequently I spent all my pocket money to buy every record available by the maestro. The music of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music has become the soundtrack to my life since then and I don't think that will ever change.

Thank you to John for maintaining this forum and all the good work you put in it plus the VRM website and the facebook account, and greetings to all of you from Hamburg,

LD

Post subject: Re: Hamburgers and Chinese.... (Short Introduction)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 pm 

Welcome aboard, Lonely Dreamer!

We'll look forward to your future posts; maybe some memories of Roxy or BF gigs in Germany? Or just an explanation of the Chinese reference for starters? lol ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm 

Hello Smudge,

thank you for the welcome!

Smudge wrote:
Or just an explanation of the Chinese reference for starters? lol ;)

Oh, I thought that would be easy...maybe because it's completely out of context.... it's what Bryan Ferry sings instead of "Eskimos and Chinese" when he performs "Do The Strand" in Hamburg.

Unfortunately I haven't seen him live in quite some while now, I know that's inexcusable :oops: But maybe I can make up for that by telling you about the first time I ever saw him live. That was during the Avalon tour and Roxy Music were playing in Hamburg on two consecutive nights. I went to both concerts, of course, having really good tickets in the front.

During one of these two concerts the crowd really went mad and everybody got up from their seats and stood and danced in front of the stage - me of course among them. Nothing special so far, but then after a while curiously some people started to sit on the stage, and then all of a sudden somehow everybody around me started to climb on the stage. Being quite a fanatic 14 year old teenager at that time I would be lying if I told you that I would have tried to resist that movement, so please don't ask me how and why, but all of a sudden I found myself standing on the stage - along with about two hundred other people - directly in front of the maestro and the band.

They continued to play as if nothing happened, maybe even a bit amused by seeing the crowd going so mad, and for everybody who got on the stage it was a great experience. For the rest of the audience it must have been quite a bit of a turn-off seeing a row of butts instead of Roxy Music. Looking back I think this was really an awful thing to do, but I can't change it now - and I could not have changed it then. It was a really great concert, I hope the rest of the crowd could still enjoy it. I certainly did :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm 

Love the "Hamburgers and Chinese" lyric! Really great!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm 

Me too :D

I wasn't aware that it's anything special. In Newcastle it's "Eskimos and Geordies" as we all know from the Viva! album. Doesn't he adapt this line almost everywhere he performs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:50 pm 

I guess I should have worked that one out for myself! :oops:

I was on to the Lonely Dreamer reference right away, though; if you ever have a daughter, I hope you'll call her Pearl - that way you can also be the Mother Of Pearl...

On the subject of those Do The Strand lyrics, I was in Reykjavik when BF played there and I don't recall any eskimos cheering that line, so I'm guessing that we weren't yet far enough north... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 pm 

:lol:

Nice idea, I'll keep that in mind, though, if I should ever have a daughter I think I'd like her a bit wilder and not so girlish...

"Lonely Dreamer" as username is maybe a bit pretentious since I'm not a Roxy Girl at all.

But I can identify with the description. Lonely? Yes, sometimes. A dreamer? certainly. :oops: Btw I had also considered "Lover Ungrateful" as username, but I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of naming myself after a sex doll. Maybe a bit too cynical.

I like the idea of looking out for cheering Eskimos at a Reykjavik concert :) Makes me wonder if BF has ever gone to China?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm 

BIENVENUE LD FROM MONTREAL! WELCOME TO VRM!

Moi? BF's biggest fan. Been here a few years. Hope you have a great stay too!

Looking forward to Vancouver show! ROCK ON!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:40 pm 

Hi Erland,

thank you for the welcome!

Erland wrote:
ROCK ON!

Yup. Will do!

Hope you'll have a great time at the Vancouver show!

Hope Monsieur Ferry will do some shows in Germany soon, unfortunately Leipzig is out of my reach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:27 pm 
Site Owner

Welcome aboard Lonely Dreamer.

J.O'B.