VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your favourite music (other than BF/RM)?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 pm 

pianoman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jbdjD6a-xw

wow. just wow. that's amazing. thanks, pianoman! this crowd has a fantastic taste in music :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm 

Always liked the Prefabs. Paddy McAloon and the Prefab gang were from Langley Park, Co. Durham, it's much nearer Durham City than Newcastle. My footy mate went to school with them.

The Sound of Crying was my favourite of theirs.

Paddy voted "Viva Roxy Music" as the worst album he ever bought!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 am 

Oh No!! :?

Viva! Is in my top 5..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 am 

Anybody besides me bought Mark Knopfler's "Down The Road Wherever"? I didn't buy every solo album from him because a lot of them were really dull with too much folk + country and too many slow songs. But now he wrote 16 new songs (did you read that, Mr. Ferry?) with good melodies and lyrics, perfectly arranged. Maybe his best material since the end of the Dire Straits. Highlight: Back On The Dance Floor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:01 am 

Thanks, Pianoman, great tip!

And Merry Christmas to everybody, here's a lovely recording of Rachmaninoff's rendering of the Great Doxology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO90gh9LChY

(Btw there are three oktavists singing in this recording: the British bass Adrian Peacock, and, for the first time together in an official recording, the two Millers: Glenn and Vladimir.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:15 pm 

Almost two years since my last post :o

I'm sharing another video with British oktavist Adrian Peacock, it's a snippet from the movie Abominable, where Peacock is dubbing the Yeti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd3xi4JD_5M

The sound of his voice is absolutely incredible, I don't know if they mixed it with a contrabass, but his voice is really this deep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 pm 

Priceless! Just heard it in the Studio 54 documentary at our state channel last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcbu-fv-GA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:08 pm 

An absolute classic of the disco era with a fine voice, a talented bass guitarist (sounds a bit like Bernard Edwards of Chic) and the well-known analogue sound of 70s electric pianos like Rhodes or Wurlitzer. Thanks for the link 8-) !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:18 pm 

In no particular order:
1 Wolf Alice, particularly their earlier material. Total respect to Ellie for wearing flat shoes on stage so that she can operate her effects pedals!
2 Sam Fender, again his earlier stuff. That Sound, Play God (excellent versions available on VEVO) and Hypersonic Missiles are great tracks.
3 Anything by Robert Fripp, particularly his Music for Quiet Moments on Youtube.
4 Anything by Rush (RIP Neil Peart). Three friends who were loyal to and trusted each other. No session guys here. I'm a big fan of Alex Lifeson, a guitarist who plays for the song, not for his own ego.
5 Alice in Chains. For me guitarist Jerry Cantrell is another person who plays for the song.
6 Anything by Gordon Giltrap MBE. I've been fortunate enough to know Gordon for 20 years now, such a kind, selfless and generous man. A brilliant guitarist as well. His Prog Rock albums of the 70s compare with anything else produced then.
7 Anything by Bill Nelson, such an underated guitarist and composer.
8 Anything by Steve Hillage.
9 Johnny Marr. There are some great Youtube sessions from him, particularly How Soon is Now. Again playing for the song.
10 I have to mention Phil Manzanera of course. He's done so much outside of RM that I admire.
That's it for now.
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:28 pm 

Mr Hendrix should be mentioned too, Hey Joe is a track that I play a lot. Great guitarist, showman and singer. And there is a connection between Roxy and Gordon Giltrap - both John Gustafson and Simon Phillips were in the Gordon Giltrap band during the 70s.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next