VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Davy O'List album launch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:43 pm 

On Tuesday night I returned to the pub which was my regular watering hole 30 years ago for a gig by someone who was in Roxy before they were famous... Still no blue plaque on the wall of The Macbeth in Hoxton to commemorate the amount of beer money I spent there in my youth and, more surprisingly, only about 20 people there in total for the album launch gig by veteran guitarist Davy O'List.

Still perhaps best known for his 60s work in The Nice, DO'L was briefly in Roxy (Phil was his replacement) and played the guitar solos on BF's '74 single The "In" Crowd, but has flown largely under the rock radar since.

There was some nice guitar work on display and his quartet (including the fine drummer Dave Wagstaffe, who I'd seen a few times with Martin Turner's edition of Wishbone Ash) was tighter and less prog-rock than I'd expected. It'll be interesting to see if & how the group develops.

I picked up the Second Thoughts CD and had a few words with DO'L as he signed it. I mentioned the overdue 40th anniversary release of the Roxy debut and wondered aloud if it might include the earlier BBC sessions (with the later ones in the FYP box?) and he seemed pleasantly surprised (although presumably not from a royalties viewpoint, as they'd presumably be minimal for him...) at the thought of the box possibly including something that he'd played on.

I also mentioned that diehard Roxy fans were hoping for the inclusion of the original demo tape on CD; I asked if that would have pre-dated even his time in the band and he confirmed that Roger Bunn would have been the guitarist on that bit of Roxy history.

Despite some far fetched pre-gig publicity which suggested that BF & Brian May might be in attendance, the only "face" I recognised was veteran rock journalist Chris Welch. Perhaps the rich & famous had heard in advance that the beer would be nearly six quid for a pint! ;)

Post subject: Re: Davy O'List album launch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:03 pm 

Something I came accross recently:-

Davy produced the commercial sound of Roxy Music in 1971 by writing, rewriting and arranging their first
album, producing them for touring and securing a record deal with Island Records in 1972. By 1973 he rejoined Bryan Ferry and 'Let's Stick Together', 'The In-crowd', and 'Chance Meeting' became gold discs.
:?

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:09 am 

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, Roxy... ;)

Actually it was me who did all that important stuff in '71; I was only 10, but I knew that homework would cut into my free time when I started at senior school the following year, so I told the guys that we needed to crack on and get the band started.

I'd have loved to have been more available to them when the guys got back together in '79, but I'd discovered girls & beer by then; I think they understood, though. :)

Right, time for my medication, nurse...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:44 pm 

Well, I've tried in vain to love this CD and I'm not sure it'll find its way back in to my player (more prog than the live music at the launch gig). :(

If it would plug a gap in someone else's collection, I'd consider sale or exchange (ideally for something else Roxy-related).

The autograph dedication will hopefully not kill any potential interest, as (a) it's hidden under the CD when not in use and (b) it would make it an ideal gift for anyone named Gary! :lol:

Attachments:
OList.jpg
OList.jpg [ 178.74 KiB | Viewed 30077 times ]
OList2.jpg
OList2.jpg [ 192.27 KiB | Viewed 30077 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm 

Roxy history, those who officially and unofficially write it, give a rather downbeat view of Davy in that he was a bit above himself with the rest of the lads, having been a star previously in the Nice. That may well be....

Either way, Bryan obviously knew his talent and brought him back for the stunning guitar blitzkrieg work on "The In Crowd," which still gives me goosebumps 40+ years later.

It's on a par with Ronson and his contribution to Moonage Daydream, or Hendrix and All Along the Watchtower.

Thanks Davy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm 

Agreed about the guitar work on The "In" Crowd, Rendezvous (although I personally wouldn't put any rock guitarist on a par with Hendrix...).

I guess only those who were there will ever know the truth about Roxy's history, but, having read some of his interviews online, I don't think Davy could ever be accused of understating his contribution to any of the bands he played in! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:04 pm 

Smudge, I think most people would agree with your views about Hendrix, but I have never been a guitar hero-type and probably should have clarified that my feelings relate totally to my personal guitaring goosebump-ometer, and I could have said a few more - Forest Fire by Lloyd Cole's mob, our Phil on Amazona, even - to stretch a point in guitar terms - George Formby and his little snapshot album.

Weird I know :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:07 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
Roxy history, those who officially and unofficially write it, give a rather downbeat view of Davy in that he was a bit above himself with the rest of the lads, having been a star previously in the Nice. That may well be....

Either way, Bryan obviously knew his talent and brought him back for the stunning guitar blitzkrieg work on "The In Crowd," which still gives me goosebumps 40+ years later.

It's on a par with Ronson and his contribution to Moonage Daydream, or Hendrix and All Along the Watchtower.

Thanks Davy.

Couldnt agree more with the sentiment and references. Even Hendrix. But then, I'm biased.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:59 pm 

Anyone hear the story that Paul put some Geordie manners on Mr O'List? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:20 pm 

Gary wrote:
Anyone hear the story that Paul put some Geordie manners on Mr O'List? ;)

Oh yes! I'm pretty sure that it's been reliably corroborated too...though I can't recall the source.
I venture there must have been some provocation to induce such a lesson on etiquette from TGPT.