VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I watched Robert Plant the other day
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:09 pm 

The 16th of July 2015 he visited one of Norway`s most famous Jazz festivals, an outdoor setting among pine trees and old farm buildings at a museum in the town of Molde. Most of the stuff was from his solo albums, but there were some Zep songs as well.

“Trampled Underfoot” from Zep`s “Physical Grafitti” opened the ball with a bang. Shortly later we got a very rearranged version of “Black Dog” from “Zep 4”. “Let the four winds blow” from the “Mighty Rearranger” album was memorable, as was “Little Maggie” and “Embrace Another Fall” from his latest album.

Towards the end of the show he threw in more Zep songs, and among them, blues standards. “Crawling King Snake” was hugely impressive. It sounded like a lost gem from the golden age of heavy rock, the early 70s, just like the other early Zep songs they were accused of stealing from old blues men.

The die-hards were right in front of the stage. I positioned myself at one of the wings to avoid the loudest sounds. Then I could watch both the die-hards and the more casual fans. When Robert suddenly moved into “Whole Lotta Love” as part of lesser well known song, I could watch how an unfaithful fan cowardly rushed back to his original position closer to the stage.

We got “The Lemon Song” from “Zep 2”. Whew! Great, although the fast parts did lack some of the guitar acrobatics from the studio version. The best Zep song was the first encore; “Babe, I`m Gonna Leave You” from “Zep 1” Whew, that was great! It was introduced by a long acoustical guitar part while Robert sat watching.

Luckily we got another encore; “Rock and Roll” from “Zep 4”. It was introduced by Robert telling about how he travelled from Norway`s Cape North, mentioning a row of Nordic outposts down the coast, and then suddenly through a milky mist: (sound). Well, it had to be said that some of the bite of the studio version was gone. There was some synth in there making it sound like a speeded up classical march, methinks.