VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Frank Sinatra
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 am 

I`ve just watched the two last episodes of the Sinatra bio on the Norwegian state channel. The last episode shows that he too had to struggle when the hippie thing hit the nation in the last part of the 60s. He tried, but only looked ridiculous. At a performance he weared a light blue suit with an eastern inspired jacket not open in front, and some kind of Maharishi-like neckless put on. It made me think of Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees, and not the Sinatra we knew. He could cope with women looking like dolls from the mid 60s, but Janis Joplin`s performance of «Ball and Chain» was not his thing. He had to retire, and summed it all up with «My Way» in 1969, but made a huge comeback in 1974. From what we learned about him as a person, you could think there`s a lot tamed aggression in his songs. What control! Listen to «Summer Wind», one of my favourites. He obviously didn`t need a lot of amplifiers. Just look at how he moves his arms and feet to underscore parts of a song.

Dusty Springfield too met trouble when the 60s turned into 70s. People didn`t want torch singers with lush arrangements any more. A recording from the very early 70s was actually shelved. It was meant to be her third recording for Atlantic, following «In Memphis» and «A Brand New Me». Finally it was released in 2015 as «Faithful».