VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lloyd Watson RIP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:45 am 

The local press in my home town of Peterborough are reporting the death of local guitar hero Lloyd Watson. He was 70 and passed away on Tuesday 19th November.

I saw him live a couple of times in pubs around Peterborough and not only was he a nice chap, but played high profile solo support slots alongside David Bowie, King Crimson and Roxy of course.

He will best be remembered here for his superb slide guitar on 801 Live - up there with the best ever live albums. Also, not forgetting his contributions to Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets and Andy's In Search Of Eddie Riff.

RIP Lloyd

Post subject: Re: Lloyd Watson RIP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:47 am 

Sad news indeed. :(

Lloyd's Roxy connection goes back to 1972 when, after winning a Melody Maker competition and appearing on the Old Grey Whistle Test, he toured as support to Roxy and Sharks (the latter included Chris Spedding, of course).

He obviously kept in touch with his musical friends after 801's brief existence in 1976, as last week's tributes on Facebook included those of Phil, Andy, TGPT & Bill MacCormick.

On a personal (if slightly selfish) level I was sad never to meet Lloyd, as my deluxe 801 Live set bears the signatures of the other five group members. I had been in touch with Lloyd's sister, who maintains his Facebook page, over the past couple of years with a view to arranging a meeting, so that he could add his autograph and complete the set. Unfortunately he had some health problems which required me to play a respectful waiting game and, sadly, that plan will never come to fruition.

For an example of Lloyd's slide guitar mastery, here's that OGWT appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTd6ASn8A8