VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carlos Tevez
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 am 

Hey, well done Smudge, It is indeed the very man, and yes you spelt 'Derek' Perfectly correct.. :lol: ..... Top of the class for your footie knowledge.

Haha! not been to Wales since I was a little kid. Is it still there? ;)

Just as well I'm out of blue paint, but I have a full tin of Tartan!! does that count? haha

Big game today. Hope Ciesse is kind on us. Can't see us getting a result there today though....but as always....

COME ON CITY! .... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:07 am 

City are playing the underdog card a wee bit too much now. When you have to win 2 games to clinch the title then you act like champions and win them. If not, you get what you deserve.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:23 am 

Easier said than done! I'm being realistic. Newcastle are no muppets and want 3rd spot they will be out all guns blazin just like us both fighting for what they want... United were 8 points clear a few games ago if any team wanted to go on and win it deservingly they would have won it by now. They Got beat by Wigan!!!... There are no guarantees in football.

What will be will be.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 am 

Sorry Helen, but I am not buying that.

United have thrown it away but, as somebody whose team has won a world record 54 domestic titles, I know that there is a big difference between heading the pack with 6 or 7 games to go and being ahead on the home straight with just 2 games left. (NB I guess that I have just set myself up for some legitimate jibes from the green and white contingent given recent shameful revelations)

I know that the fans will be feeling jittery, and I understand that the level of competition is quite different from Scotland and that Newcastle away is a tough game under normal circumstances. However, these are not normal circumstances and if City don't walk onto the park today fully focussed and motivated to the hilt, then Mancini will have failed dismally. I fully expect your boys to boss the game from start to finish and to win comfortably. That is what champions do when it comes to the crunch.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 am 

You were spot on Avondale. I think Mancini might have beaten the king of the mind games at his own game over the last few weeks. As for all the anti Chelsea feeling on here, FA Cup number 7 in the bag, Munich to come, blue is the colour.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:11 am 

I still can't get away from the fact that both teams ( City and Chelsea) bought their trophies. The owners of both clubs could just buy Barcelona tomorrow and suddenly they would be the best team on the planet !

I saw a clip of 2 ex City players on TV last night. Mike Summerbee was in tears Sitting next to him was Patrick Vierra,who wasn't ! Now it could be that Mike Summerbee is just an emotional person or that it just meant a lot more to him. If only Mike Doyle and Neil Young were around too.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:48 am 

I saw a clip of 2 ex City players on TV last night. Mike Summerbee was in tears Sitting next to him was Patrick Vierra,who wasn't ! Now it could be that Mike Summerbee is just an emotional person or that it just meant a lot more to him. If only Mike Doyle and Neil Young were around too.

From what I've read about him, I suspect Mike Doyle cried enough every time United won it; boy, did he hate them with a passion! :o

I'm pleased for most City fans; there are few teams historically more capable than Spurs of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but City have always been one! My lot and The Arse seem to be tossing third place around like a game of pass the parcel and the losers will be left nervously supporting Bayern Munich on 19th. :(

As for anti-Chelsea feeling, Jerry, it's just about the money and what it's done to "real" football. I used to enjoy watching your lot in the Sexton years and didn't begrudge them their occasional success, but now they've got tens of thousands of fans falsely claiming to have been diehard followers for decades. At least West Ham, for example, can still rely on 30,000 gates in the second division (in old money...), unlike the 6,000 Chelsea mustered for that local derby in 1982...

I am prepared to compromise, though: if The Arse finish 4th, I'll support Chelsea in Munich! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:34 pm 

And how on earth did Milton Keynes get a team into the Football League without going through the usual promotion process ? I blame the FA for allowing that to happen and for allowing clubs to bankrupt themselves..

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:36 pm 

Talking of tears,did you shed any tears yesterday,Helen ?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 pm 

I saw a clip of 2 ex City players on TV last night. Mike Summerbee was in tears Sitting next to him was Patrick Vierra,who wasn't !

That clip sums it up perfectly. English football has sold its soul and there is no point in anybody complaining that some clubs are better at it than others. They now occupy a world where financial rewards are not built on success but are pretty much an entitlement by virtue of mere geography.

I am not claiming any moral high-ground here as I am sure that most clubs and fans in most countries would follow the same route if the opportunity presented itself - but let's not pretend that the kind of cash and self-protectionism that is rife in the 3 or 4 largest European footballing nations is not grotesquely distorting the game and eroding the traditional bonds betweeen clubs, players and fans.

It is not so long since both Rangers and Celtic were in the list of the top 20 richest clubs in Europe and now (Rangers current problems aside) they are struggling to compete financially with 3rd tier English sides with negligible history of achievement and with puny fan bases. In fact, it is worth remembering that 20 years ago Rangers were just pipped to a Champions League Final place by Marseille, who were ultimately found to have cheated their way to the final by bribing referees. What are the chances of a Scottish club getting anywhere near to this position again in the current circumstances? That is a rhetorical question, by the way, as we all know that the answer is zero. We are lucky if we can even get a team through to a place in the qualifying groups while "non-champions" or "failures" from larger/wealthy domestic leagues get automatic entry and access to the financial rewards that this brings. This is not down to any lack of ambition - it is just that we, as a small nation, do not attract big TV revenue or billionaire sugar daddies, and do not have any influence over the self-interested manipulations of the large nations at UEFA.

Now, I part company with JO'B here as I do not accept that this is all our fault. Sure, we have our internal issues and financial imbalances just like any other league across the world, but the financial polarisation between clubs of similar ambition from different countries is down to factors beyond our control. We just can't compete with this no matter how innovative we try to be and it is through attempting ever more desperate means to keep up that Rangers find themselves in their current perilous position. I am ashamed of what they have done but, perversely, I am also quietly proud that they did not take this inevitable erosion of their former status lying down without at least trying to do something about it - however forlorn these efforts were doomed to be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next