VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Carlos Tevez
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 am 

I wish someone could tell me what the bloomin hell Man City have done wrong to him, they have bent over backwards, he's has extended holidays, private jets and had his family brought here to see him.The fans idolised him, he sulks like a child and refuses to play, He brought all this on himself

For once I agree with Souness. He should be as far away from our club as possible and as soon as possible. Actually Mancini should do the decent thing and direct him back to "The Time Machine" as they are definitely missing a Morlock!!!! :lol:

Other than that have a lovely day xxx

Post subject: Re: Carlos Tevez
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:39 pm 

He was a different kind of baby when he played for us:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:46 pm 

He thought he was better than the guy who played instead of him. ! So when he got the nod to go on,he preferred to sulk ! . He doesn't care 2 hoots about Man City. Although he's a great player,he's just another mercenary,who takes his trade to the highest bidder.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:54 am 

Well he has made it plain and clear, and its been a well known fact that he doesn't want to play for Man City, Tevez should have gone in the Summer.... leaving Mancini no option but to buy a replacement for him, that fell through and he's stuck with us, which has led to him being left on the bench in favour of other players.

It's going to be interesting to see what will happen after his suspension...he won't be accepted by us City fans again that's for sure, and no other club will pay his £250,000 a week wage. :shock:

It's all looking a bit grim.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:04 am 

I've met a lot of footballers over the years (as an ordinary fan, through writing on a fanzine, and running a local supporters club) and from my experience the attitude and behaviours of footballers (and the clubs themselves) completely changed from the mid-90s. I know it's wrong to tar everyone with the same brush but I've experienced the following: Here's a quote from my boyhood idol, Charlie Hurley, the King of Roker, on being dropped for a lengthy spell for an inferior player:

"Well, he was a good player but not as good as me, I didn't have a problem with him. Listen, from the first day I became a professional player I have never moaned, I knew how lucky I was being paid to play football."

And Charlie came to our club to do a talk-in, no fee, all we "paid" him was a few pints.

And here's the response we got from one of our more recent "stars" on being asked to pop in to our club for half an hour:

"I want £250."

More recently, our star striker, Gyan, left our club and fans completely in the lurch by buggering off to play for an Arab team 'cos they have quadrupled his wages. He will playing in front of only 2-300 fans each week!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Owner

Recent events have made me proud of my much dissed Scottish footbal especially my own local team even though we are botom of the SPL for now. I am glad no transfer fee is paid the size of the cost of building a new hospital and no one has a monthly wage that would double every nurse in my local hospital's annual salary.

Our football is what it is and not some money driven entity that has no sense of identity. Half of my Inverness CT team are from this area who kiss the name of the town they were born in when they kiss the badge whereas premiership footballers kiss the name that is on their monthly cheque.

I would rather stand at the local football grounds on a Sunday watching amatuer teams and pub teams than to feed the cash cow of Sky TV who have turned football into a box of quality street. It's easy peasy to watch Man Utd play Real Madrid, any one can do that (Or Celtic V Rangers for that matter) Try watching your team get humped 3-0 at home on a February windy wet Tuesday evening.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am 

And what should one do if one's local team is Manchester United? Mine is. My family has lived in Manchester and supported them for generations, through good times and bad.

I agree that footballers' wages are insane. And the cost of going to Old Trafford on a regular basis is prohibitive these days. But I went plenty in my youth, and Manchester United is in my blood. Am I supposed to suddenly stop supporting them because they are successful? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:47 am 

Although compulsive viewing, in my experience it is never easy to watch a Celtic V Rangers game - and too often it is downright painful.

If a club is in your blood then it really doesn't make any difference how much money they have - you stick with them no matter what because you really don't have a choice. Whether that involves a 3-0 drubbing on a wet February afternoon at the hands of McDiddy United or going to the San Siro and showing the Italian Stallions how the game should be played doesn't really matter.

The problem is that the money flying around in England has made monsters out of some of the players. They have lost touch with reality both within the game itself and in the wider world. If the English fans that I meet weren't so smug about the quality of their football (almost all down to foreign imports by the way) then I might even have some sympathy for them here !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:36 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
... from my experience the attitude and behaviours of footballers (and the clubs themselves) completely changed from the mid-90s.

Lest we forget, the real reason for the sea-change in English football:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/football/04/15/hillsborough.football.revolution/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Owner

Peanut of course there is nothing wrong in supporting your local team no matter who they are or how successful they are

I just think that SkySports have spoiled the identity of football. There are many teams represent English clubs in Europe but with how many Englishmen? Same goes for most countires including Celtic and Rangers here.

The money is so out of proportion, some of these players would not play with any less quality and entartainment value if they cost and were paid 1/10th of their alleged value. they would still be wealthy men. The football would be exactly the same.

A club's success often is down to how much money they get from Sky TV. In 2001 Celtic won the treble and Henrick Larsson got the European Golden boot, their Sky TV income was 3 million, Bradford City got 6 million for getting relegated from the English top league.

How can a club like Stoke City with a capacity crowd just over 28K pay so much wages and pay so much for players and value their players so highly when teams like Celtic and Rangers with huge followings for years with attandances of 60K and 50K each home game have to shop in the bargain bin. When wealth came from footballing matters like the fans gate money and club memorabila club wealth was more even and success was more even and therefore more representative of the clubs. It's this sort of thing that I see club identity being lost.

When Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 before any other British team they not only did it with 11 scotsmen but 10 were born within 15 miles of their stadium. I don't expect that level of club/town identity ever again but we are a million miles away from that now. Nobody will convince me that Henrick Larsson had a Jimmy Johnstone poster on his wall when he was 7 years old or Tevez had Dennis Law on his wall either and a Manchester strip in his 8 year old Christmas list. In most cases we now just watch 11 random rich men wearing our clubs colours every Saturday and when their contract ends they will wear the colours of the next random club who will pay them the most.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next